"Old Revell" Kiwi Corsair ; FINISHED

Allok

Cheers Brian.

The references I have suggest the wheels were aluminium but imagine they dulled down quite a bit in the pacific. Maybe Murph can shed some light on this one.

In the end, the whole thing will probably end up grey (and scratched and dirty and dusty...) But this is scary and I've been putting it off while I deal to the Stuka.

Some of you guys might be able to help me with the white markings just in front of the canopy, as I don't seem to have a historical photo of this area.

There was a varity of wheel colors for the F4U in world war two Most Assuredly all the wheels were painted in some fashon just to prevent corrosion. in my ref. I see anything from Dark Sea Blue to gray but there was a silver aluminum coated color also.

So any way you go you should be OK here. But a good old wash is always a great way to highlight the details.

Cheers Mates...

Some of you guys might be able to help me with the white markings just in front of the canopy, as I don't seem to have a historical photo of this area.

The "white markings" in front of the canopy you are referring to are no doubt the sealing tape used on panel lines. Oil used to seep from the engine through the panel lines and cover the canopy practically blind the pilot. So in the field, they taped over the joints.

The amount of taping done varied by plane, so you need to use the photos of which ever plane you want to model to get it right.

A quick progress shot showing the lettraset serials and some of the data decals (Cheers Erwin)

This shot also gives you a glimps of the new prop (Erwin once again!) which just happens to be the first bit of resin I've ever attached to a model. I must say, I am surprisingly pleased with it and it should look pretty good with all the paint on it.

Pictures172.jpg

I'm still stalling a bit with the weathering but as Mr Incredible said "I still got time!?"

Cheers,

Keith.

• 1 month later...

All done... for now.

After a bit of weathering practice, I'll make it look scruffy. But in the mean time, it's good enough for the cabinet.

Enjoy:

Pictures197.jpg

Pictures196.jpg

Thought I had some Hamilton decals in the box... guess not. Never mind, here's some hand painted ones!

Pictures193.jpg

Bit of engine exposure just for Brian. It's not really good enough to leave open all the time. Maybe one day.

The aicraft ended up being an FG-1D which was delivered to New Zealand at the end of hostilities. This particular plane would have been placed into storeage upon arrival and then used for training purposes or sold at a later date.

For the rest of the pics; http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/Kei...%2032%20Revell/

• 6 months later...

Practice time is over, now for the really scary part!

Pictures200.jpg

Pictures198.jpg

Pictures203.jpg

Pictures201.jpg

Paint fade is achieved with some white paint (Literally), severly thinned down until it looks like low-fat milk. It's sprayed right over the top of everything including the markings, after all, they fade too! Paint chipping after that using flat aluminium and metalic grey. Lastly, smoke and dust.

Do you think it's over done?

Keith-Inspiring as always mate!

The Revell Corsair is one of the few old Revells I don't have in the stash, but I vividly recall making one in the early seventies as a hamfisted schoolboy. My only criticism would be the confusion you've caused me in trying to work out whether I prefer this or your Hurricane!

Thanks Alan.

My only criticism would be the confusion you've caused me in trying to work out whether I prefer this or your Hurricane!

Cheers Ian! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Of course, there's a lot more RNZAF to come (I hope), so imagine that this will only add to your confusion.