BV 155 V1

mattlow

Hi all

Well, I've finally put my neck on the block and am putting something up. Can't get into all my high tech plastic, resin and photoetch - so I thought I'd have a go at scratching something I've always liked the look of.

This isn't going to be exactly spot on as I'm working from a range of drawings (mostly extreme enlargements of the images in the Monogram Close-up).

What I'm after (if I reach the end of this project) is something that looks pretty much like the subject.

Idea is to create template with series of bulk heads, then fill spaces with balsa, sand smooth and 'skin' with thin-ish plastic sheet (thickness of sheet has been accounted for in template and bulkheads). Below is initial progress. Cut out for cockpit area and mid fuselage is the location of the turbo blower which will need some cutting out.

post-528-1150227857.jpg

Matt Low

Next one.

This shows the stages from balsa block through 'hacking' to sanding. Once basic shape has been approached I'll prime it with something to harden the balsa a bit.

I'm sort of making this up as I go along, and fully expect to hit some problems along the way - but it is great fun!

post-528-1150229120.jpg

Last one for today.

Shape of the aircraft is starting to appear. 109G for size - the 155 was quite large and has a pretty outlandish wingspan (wings are going to be interesting!).

post-528-1150229451.jpg

Thanks for looking

Matt Low

Great Stuff!!! What a subject to open your account with mate! I am supporting this thread all the way. Good luck to you my friend!

In case anyone wonders what the hell you are doing, here is a pic of the beast herself:

post-906-1150229774.jpg

yes this is a very big plane with a very big wing span. It was orginally an Messershcmitt project. It was suppose to be an expansion on its 109H project but was turned over to BV to carry on with the project hence the 109 similarities in the fuselage. l believe it was not only an high altitude fighter but recononise as well.

hacker :) B)

oooh....interesting project and subject choice there Matt...nice. So far so good. Radus technique of laminated styrene sanded to shape seems to work really well.

Will look fwd to more updates.

Cheers Matt

PS err...nice G14 with the Aries Radios as well :-)...looks like that one is getting an engine AND all...cmon...piccies...

Matt

Great to see someone else stepping over to the "dark" side of scratchbuilding.

At the rate I am going you will likely finish before I finish the Whirlwind.

Dave/Ironman1945

Way to go Matt! :)

Welcome to LSP. I love seeing others scratch build models...Looking good Matt, keep up the good work. Just ask if you need any specific help or tips, there are some pretty wicked modellers on this group who will be only too willing to help you out.

Best regards

Derek

Hi Matt,

I always had a bit of a fascination with this plane. I would like to have a model in 1/32 someday and it looks like scratchbuilding may be the way to go. For the wings, try to contact your nearest signmaker - they use a high density plastic foam board (about 6mm thick). It sands very well - it has a lighter consistency, something between styrene and balsa. You can sandwich it together to get the right thickness.

If you need any details, there is plenty here http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village...t_air/bv155.htm (check the photos of the real thing).

HTH

Radu

Thanks guys

Its good to get words of encouragement, it'll keep me going when things go wrong (as I don't doubt they will).

Piet - thanks for putting a piccy up. I've looked at the two known photos of this machine for years - tend to forget some people haven't heard of it.

Hacker - thanks for links hadn't seen the buildup before.

Derek - I'm always open to suggestions - just throw them in.

Radu - I'll see if I can track some of this down - sounds useful.

Finally, Matt - The G-14 is a project on hold. It got hacked up just before Vincent did his DB engine. I have everything needed to do it except the enthusiasm at the moment.

post-528-1150315443.jpg

The fuselage structure is my own work using plastic, done way before the Aires set came out. I cut out all of the structure to join the front and rear fuselage parts. I don't like the Aires set because its too thick and doesn't continue around the fuselage - so you can see the edge of it through the open hatch. Mine continues around the bottom - if you see what I mean? I do like the radios etc..

Thanks to all

Matt Low