It's time......

Out2gtcha

......to finally invest in the large FDM printer Ive always wanted!

I splurged on a nice resin printer that isn't too large (AnyCubic M5s 12k) and I have printed some cool things with it, but I've been wanting to print some much larger things, like Mandalorian armor, helmet and some large Star Wars ships that I intend to blow up scale wise.

I'm also interested in printing some large 1:1 scale droid parts as well.

Can people recommend a large FDM printer capable of High resolution printing, as well as the capability to make very large prints?

Money isn't a huge obstacle, but I'm trying to keep the pricing in the $500 - $1000 range if I can help it,  but am willing to go higher for larger capacity and/or higher print quality.

TIA

I have not looked much into Elegoo honestly.

I like the size of the bed for sure, but I'm not 100% on the quality of the prints, as Im after a large FDM printer, but one not made for beginners, that can produce high end smooth prints.

I've been looking at machines like the Bamboo Labs X-1 carbon, having everything I want, but the build area is only 256mm x 256mm x 256mm which is smaller than I really want.

On 5/17/2024 at 11:26 PM, Out2gtcha said:

......to finally invest in the large FDM printer Ive always wanted!

I splurged on a nice resin printer that isn't too large (AnyCubic M5s 12k) and I have printed some cool things with it, but I've been wanting to print some much larger things, like Mandalorian armor, helmet and some large Star Wars ships that I intend to blow up scale wise.

I'm also interested in printing some large 1:1 scale droid parts as well.

Can people recommend a large FDM printer capable of High resolution printing, as well as the capability to make very large prints?

Money isn't a huge obstacle, but I'm trying to keep the pricing in the $500 - $1000 range if I can help it,  but am willing to go higher for larger capacity and/or higher print quality.

TIA

Use HIPS !!! PLEASE!!!!  Maybe use the freebie PLA that came with the machine to understand how it all works, then bin whatever is left over, and then get some HIPS!! High Impact PolyStyrene!!! It is EXACTLY the same material used in plastic kits, it prints beautifully, and you will have no trouble at all with glues, cements, primers, paints, drilling it, sanding it wet or dry, you won't get differential shrinkage, you won't get any troubles with moisture absorbtion, it will blend in with any kit parts you glue it to invisibly, it is light, strong, EVERYTHING you will need to make useful model parts.

PLA is utter rubbish in comparison and apart from printing nicely, will give you no end of problems trying to integrate it into our hobby. 

Thank me later. Just go buy some HIPS!!! NOW!!!!!

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

I also have the CR-10 Plus that will print helmets etc in PLA.

Both my machines are Creality and have a 3d Scanner on order, great products.

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

I've currently got a resin machine I love!  ATM, I'm just looking for hints on an FDM printer that has a build area 350mm or larger

Just now, Out2gtcha said:

I've currently got a resin machine I love!  ATM, I'm just looking for hints on an FDM printer that has a build area 350mm or larger

Yes I’m sorry man, I didn’t read the post entirely!

check-out the the Creality machines though, mines pretty big.

9 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

Use HIPS !!! PLEASE!!!!  Maybe use the freebie PLA that came with the machine to understand how it all works, then bin whatever is left over, and then get some HIPS!! High Impact PolyStyrene!!! It is EXACTLY the same material used in plastic kits, it prints beautifully, and you will have no trouble at all with glues, cements, primers, paints, drilling it, sanding it wet or dry, you won't get differential shrinkage, you won't get any troubles with moisture absorbtion, it will blend in with any kit parts you glue it to invisibly, it is light, strong, EVERYTHING you will need to make useful model parts.

PLA is utter rubbish in comparison and apart from printing nicely, will give you no end of problems trying to integrate it into our hobby. 

Thank me later. Just go buy some HIPS!!! NOW!!!!!

Indeed, but what printer to use?   

Ideally I want an FDM printer that will print it all, PLA, HIPS, PETG, TPU, ABS, ASA, PVA, PET, you name it, and I would like one with a 350mm+ build area.  

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Yes I’m sorry man, I didn’t read the post entirely!

check-out the the Creality machines though, mines pretty big.

Im looking at their K1 Max rn. Looks like a decent printer, but Im still not sure under 12" will do what I need. 

Posted (edited)

Creality recently announced a K2 Plus that has a 350mm cubed print volume with a heated chamber.  Sovol also announced a Voron 2.4 based SV08 with 350mmx350mmx345mm build volume, enclosure is optional, I believe.

SC

Edited by scjh

44 minutes ago, scjh said:

Creality recently announced a K2 Plus that has a 350mm cubed print volume with a heated chamber.  Sovol also announced a Voron 2.4 based SV08 with 350mmx350mmx345mm build volume, enclosure is optional, I believe.

SC

I've looked at the SV08 and seemed decent, but have no idea about their quality.

I've also been looking at Crealitys K1 Max.