Tamiya 1/32 A6M2b on sale at Amazon-----$72.21

9 minutes ago, Splatman812 said:

That kit is the best eBay deal I ever got, $25 Cdn, the seller was local so I was able to pick it up and not pay shipping. That was the starting bid, no one else bid.

7 left.  I'm on the fence.    Did any of these versions have the field-applied green paintwork or just the boring (to me) overall light grey? 

2 hours ago, John1 said:

7 left.  I'm on the fence.    Did any of these versions have the field-applied green paintwork or just the boring (to me) overall light grey? 

LIGHT GREY? Oh boy you're going to open a topic.........lol.

There are green/mottled ones for this one, so don't let that stop you. This is about $50 less than anywhere else (unless you go the Japan route).

lol, I actually thought about that before I posted. 

9 hours ago, Splatman812 said:

LIGHT GREY? Oh boy you're going to open a topic.........

New research shows that the brownish tint was actually just an issue with the film.   The correct shade is now agreed by all to be simply light grey.   

J3SP is the correct color for an overall olive-grey A6M2 (and the A6M3 as well). "Simply light grey" is an over simplification.  Extant relic evidence as examined by Greg Springer, Jim Lansdale, and certainly not least, Nick Millman (most current color evaluation) support the J3SP conclusion.  I have not heard of a "film" justification for the shade of grey on the early A6M2's...please give me a source for that; I'd like to find out more.

A6M2's were first produced by Mitsubishi and were overall J3SP.  When Nakajima began producing the A6M2 (so Mitusbishi could concentrate on subsequent models of the A6M), they too were initially J3SP (but the Nakajima version did not match the Mitsubishi formula). The differences between the two manufacturer A6M2's is beyond the scope of this topic and has already been addressed in others. 

The green camouflage came in as a field measure and then on the production line.  Green D1 was the production shade of green (again with Mitsubishi and Nakajima versions differing in their interpretation of green D1) while the field applied green could have been D1 but also could have been another shade of green.  There are photographic and profile (interpretation) instances of more than one shade of green being used on an A6M2.  Undersides of Nakajima production camouflaged A6M2s used J3 (if memory serves) and not J3SP.  Mitsubishi on the other hand, used J3SP on the undersides of its camouflaged A6Ms (A6M3 model 22 and subsequent).

After December 1943, the Nakajima built A6M2's would have the Model 3 radio installed rather than the Type 96 (separate receiver and transmitter on the right cockpit sidewall area); the model 3 radio installation is that shown on the Tamiya A6M5 kit instructions (which I believe is also included in the A6M2 kit but marked as not for use).  Of course, radios often were non-functioning and removed so there's that possibility as well.

Edited by Juggernut