American Airlines AA2912, Flying down to DC

John1

Just another flight in Microsoft Flight Sim.   I've upgraded from the 737 to the Airbus A320 recently.   Amazing how different the "Bus" is compared to the 737.   Airbus is a firm believer in technology to keep the pilots out of trouble, while Boeing's philosophy is pretty much the opposite.   Most of the functions that were manually operated on the 737 are automated on the A320.   The Airbus also has a fully fly by wire control system, so initially, I found myself overcontrolling, being used to having to make much more pronounced control inputs and trimming on the "Jurassic Jet".    It's taken me a while to truly get up to speed on the Airbus, the initial flights were often spent asking myself what the jet is now doing.   All things considered, both jets get the job done safely, I think my personal preference is with the Airbus system though. 

This flight is one I've taken a dozen times in RL for business, flying out of my local airport - Providence / TF Green (aka KPVD) to Reagan National in DC (KDCA).    I truly love PVD, even though Boston is closer, for domestic travel, I always fly out of there.  You avoid the horrid Boston traffic, easy to get through TSA, it's clean and efficient.   Much better than Logan.   Same applies to DCA.   Reagan National is awesome.   The entire terminal was revamped back around 2000 and it's beautiful.   You also get great views of the airside operation, with the capitol and the Washington monument in the background.  

Anyway, AA2912 on a Sunday finds PVD to be pretty quiet.   

mHlD3Wn.png

Only a few other jets present this afternoon. 

x9ekDYN.png

Getting ready to taxy out to Runway 23.  It's a beautiful day in RI.   Forecast for DC isn't as promising.   One nice feature of the A320 is the EICAS system which is a graphic display of the status of every system on the jet.  It's the screen below the engine display and can be selected for hydraulics, cabin status, electrical, etc, etc.    Much better than the dozen caution lights scattered throughout the 737's cockpit. 

C3CtB4x.png

Climbing out over Narragansett Bay. 

qMPg26r.png

PVD is off in the distance, behind the jet.   Right underneath the jet is Quonset Point, formerly a major US Navy carrier base and airfield.  

aJ227qx.png

Cruising down the eastern coast of Long Island. 

phCMNMb.png

Turning inland, starting our descent into DC.

U69hJY6.png

On final for KDCA, Runway 1.  One thing that's different on the Airbus is that even when you disconnect the autopilot for landing, you leave the autothrottle engaged all the way down to the final 30 feet or so, when the jet reminds you to cut the throttles to idle.  On the 737, the pilot controls the throttles when landing manually. 

rq08O9j.png

Not a lot of traffic on a Sunday afternoon.

CfxJhbC.png

Welcome to DC.   The Washington Monument is in the distance.  

Ttitr1u.png

Taxying into the "alley" behind an AA 737.  American is the largest carrier at KDCA.  

KsLWT0d.png

Pulling into the gate.

Fm3A3HM.png

Offloading...

PgM00w0.png

Already catering for the next flight as I depart. 

0QZ8esT.png

A final look at the jet.

HLoFJxR.png

Connecting flight is on time.   

EC3zLPw.png

Thanks for tagging along on my trip.   Safe travels! 

Hey! you just flew over our house! :thumbsup:

We live close to Quanset.

You can even see the Oakland Beach inlet where our boatyard is lol. Just above the fin and to the right a bit. 

Amazing what they can do with graphics these days.

Edited by europapete

If you’d have told me these were photographs of an actual flight John, I’d have believed you…

I had a quick look on Google Maps to see your trip ‘large scale’ (and to try and improve my knowledge of US geography!) and I’ struck how many familiar place names there are in Massachusetts!

5 hours ago, europapete said:

Hey! you just flew over our house! :thumbsup:

We live close to Quanset.

You can even see the Oakland Beach inlet where our boatyard is lol. Just above the fin and to the right a bit. 

Amazing what they can do with graphics these days.

I can see my street when I’m “flying” into Logan.   The “Robuc3” Standard Instrument Approach takes jets nearly directly over my house at around 10,000’ before they pass over Plymouth and turn north for the final approach into Logan.   In real life, if I’m on the left side, in a window seat, I can make out my neighborhood.   The virtual view is nearly identical.    It amazing how far flight sims have come.   

12 hours ago, John1 said:

One thing that's different on the Airbus is that even when you disconnect the autopilot for landing, you leave the autothrottle engaged all the way down to the final 30 feet or so, when the jet reminds you to cut the throttles to idle.  On the 737, the pilot controls the throttles when landing manually. 

You are simply choosing to fly it this way.

I turn the auto thrust and AP off for virtually every landing. There is no SOP at my airline to leave the AT engaged for landing unless it is an auto land.

….and EICAS is a Boeing thing. You meant to say ECAM.

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

8 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

You are simply choosing to fly it this way.

I turn the auto thrust and AP off for virtually every landing. There is no SOP at my airline to leave the AT engaged for landing unless it is an auto land.

….and EICAS is a Boeing thing. You meant to say ECAM.

P

Interesting, there are a few RL pilots on the MSFS forums and they all said A/T was kept on until the "retard" call out.    I figured that was standard procedure for all operators.    Yah, my bad on terminology, I'm still struggling to speak Airbus.   For some reason when I bought this sim, I thought with all the technology, it would be easier to master than the 737 but I'm finding it much harder.   Maybe would have been easier if I hadn't started on the Boeing, because I'm having to unlearn a bunch of habits I picked up from that jet.  

Out of curiosity, is there a typical altitude that you disconnect AP and AT and hand fly the rest of the way (assume decent weather, and moderate workload on the approach)?

One feature I liked about the 737 was the HUD.   Really made landings much easier, I figured the A320, being full of technology, would have one but alas..... 

5 hours ago, John1 said:

Interesting, there are a few RL pilots on the MSFS forums and they all said A/T was kept on until the "retard" call out.    I figured that was standard procedure for all operators.    Yah, my bad on terminology, I'm still struggling to speak Airbus.   For some reason when I bought this sim, I thought with all the technology, it would be easier to master than the 737 but I'm finding it much harder.   Maybe would have been easier if I hadn't started on the Boeing, because I'm having to unlearn a bunch of habits I picked up from that jet.  

Out of curiosity, is there a typical altitude that you disconnect AP and AT and hand fly the rest of the way (assume decent weather, and moderate workload on the approach)?

One feature I liked about the 737 was the HUD.   Really made landings much easier, I figured the A320, being full of technology, would have one but alas..... 

probably descending through 10k would be typical.

As a general technique, if I turn off the AP I will almost certainly turn off the AT. Sometimes I’ll turn off the flight directors as well; but if I do I’ll select the FPV on the PFD.

The AT is good to have engaged when it is really gusty. Helps a lot.

If you do choose to manually disengage the AT, make sure you pull the thrust levers back to make the thrust lever position indicators match the actual thrust pointers on the EPR or N1 (as appropriate) then hit the instinctive disconnect switch on the thrust levers. If you just hit the disconnect switch, the power will advance all the way to climb power, because the thrust levers are in the climb detent. 

and then you’ll have a handful of jet.

P

Not all 737’s have HUD’s. Just depends what options the customer ordered.

I think I've flown that EXACT 320 a couple of times.  Ex-America West bird and a "turd" at that.  It isn't a requirement at AA to land w/the AT engaged.  The "retard" call is just a reminder for the idiot flying to bring the power to idle.  Most guys do land w/the AT active.  Just technique tho.  

Having a HUD in an airliner make the pilot a "HUD cripple" :D

Edited by Dope737

7 hours ago, Timmy! said:

What’s an EICAS? said the 37 driver….

Yes matching the throttles on the bus can be just like a monkey engaging in coitus with a football.

Timmy!

Engine Indication and Crew Alerting System.

B757/767/777 for sure.

I never flew the 737 or 787, (save for barrel-rolling the 787 sim and making the Fleet captain go ape feces) so can’t speak to those.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve seen someone try to get that monkey rollin’

a high energy go-around is equally entertaining 

Pigfyter

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

On 4/22/2024 at 9:23 PM, Dope737 said:

I think I've flown that EXACT 320 a couple of times.  Ex-America West bird and a "turd" at that.  

Funny, I don't know much about the A320 but for some reason, always assumed those jets were pretty new (just because they are loaded with high tech features I suppose) but come to find out, there are some really elderly A320's out there.   

Well I know that I was due to fly early Saturday on a 320 LGW to BER, got to the gate then got sent back to departures! Eventually boarded somewhat later and the resson was given as an "aircraft sibstitution". I suspect the original went tech.

Still, it's an ill wind, I've never been on an aircraft that was boarded and off the gate quite so quickly!

On 4/25/2024 at 6:11 AM, John1 said:

Funny, I don't know much about the A320 but for some reason, always assumed those jets were pretty new (just because they are loaded with high tech features I suppose) but come to find out, there are some really elderly A320's out there.   

We have some of the first A320's built.  The old America West jets. I've flown one that had over 75,000 hours on it!  I bet there's not one B-52 or KC-135 w/that many hours. That Hi-tech is actually late 80's early '90's tech.  It's still relevant today but it does have it's limits.   

My company also operates the 319, 321, and 321NX (Neo).