Matchbox Tiger Moth; Rigged (more) and Finished!

ericg

I have been tinkering with the Matchbox Tiger Moth over the last few days and have been having quite a bit of fun with it. With the amount of great new releases that are on the market these days and the arms race for more and more aftermarket parts that are available to them, I thought I would indulge in some basic modelling from a bygone era, just to ensure that I haven't forgotten the basics of modelling. My last few finished builds include some of the older 1/32 scale kits available (Sea Venom and Mirage) and I have found that with some extra care, they build into very fine replicas that look equally nice among newer tooled kits. The fact that you don't see many of these kits built sets them aside from the many 109's/Spitfires and Mustangs, of which endless varieties and schemes tend to blend into one these days and bore me to death! Out of all of the many 1/32 scale kits in my collection, many of them either new release, exotic resin, full of aftermarket or a combination of all, I found that I have been re-visiting this kit many times as I contemplated what to start next and after I finished the XF5U-1 Flying Pancake, found this was tempting me the most.

I was aware that a family member of mine (although distant-ish) was an ex WW2 RAAF pilot that served on Lancasters. He is my Dads Dads Mothers Sisters Son, or my grandfathers cousin, however you may like to put it. After researching a bit of his history, I was able to peruse his log book and found that he soloed on a Tiger moth in 1942 at an airfield in Cunderdin, Western Australia, my home state. He eventually flew Lancasters and served in 617 Squadron, earning a DFC with bar, and notably dropped a Tallboy bomb in the raid on the Tirpitz. The family connection, and the fact that I am celebrating 20 years since I flew my first solo (although in a Cessna 152) will make this build even more special.

Onto the build, some minor aftermarket being new decals (the kit ones were well past their use by date), some of the excellent Radu Sutton harnesses, the Gas Patch RAF tunbuckles and some Airscale decals. After my Sea Venom build, where the fun police got involved when I started to go down the path of an OOB build and their interpretation of the rules was apparently a matter of life and death, I wont make any such assertions here!

Dusty smelling box, shot decals and multi coloured plastic, totally opposite to a new kit!

E817A576-3B34-4D84-ADE5-7DD66398432A_zps

Basic Cockpit seats, a bit of a dry brush and yet to add the kit control sticks. 

9BE9ED02-E42E-4AA0-AF90-1E415D095836_zps

The lower belts in place along with the kit sticks.

409B0763-2E5B-4950-BCB8-79F4279EAC48_zps

Preshade, dry brush, wash and a seal coat.

38CF2E18-71FB-4B99-ACC0-6542C61765A3_zps

Detail is lacking, but with a few extra bits it is acceptable

1D3DF9E8-A7C8-4656-AE9E-177DFA0A7211_zps

A few hours work and the fuselage is closed up. You will notice that I have made some slits behind each seat for the upper harnesses, adding some plastic card around each to tidy them up a bit.

92726176-E7E7-43EA-B192-2C5622770658_zps

Some additional detailing on the fuselage, I added a small strip of plastic for the edge of the cargo door, and scribed in the hinge line, I have also added the many studs that formed the attachment point for the rear cockpit cover of which the student would pull over the cockpit to practice instrument flying. They look slightly overscale at this stage but are yet to see a coat of primer which should blend them in nicely. 

5FA19EDB-C490-4FB8-BB3A-64D92891609E_zps

AD022FC1-6498-4F11-8F75-F2A18BEDC106_zps

Edited by ericg

I to have to watch this kit begin built closely. ( I have one in the stash ) A great family friend  gave me a Gypsy Moth propeller when I was a very young teenager. I literally slept with it from Vancouver Canada to southern California and it hung over my hobby desk!!!!  It stands right behind me as I write this to.  This friend was a nurse during the battle of Britten, Her husband was a HMS Captain, but never meet him.   

How hard would it be to change the wing to a Gypsy Moth Wing?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Cheers

Hi guys, glad you like it.

Scanman! I saw your build of this machine, well done. I am going to try the Gaspatch RAF turnbuckles coupled with the knitting in thread to simulate the streamlined rigging wire. Am also going to try out a new technique that I have been thinking about and that I have discussed with Simmo.b it is risky but the results may be worth it.

Eric

Cool! I love the old tiger moth. I have a partially built one in the stash which may make a return to the bench after seeing this build. It would be an interesting subject to try and super detail, but I like the path you've chosen here. Nice work!

Craig

Eric,

The moth is such a good looking airplane and youre surely doing it justice thus far. I look forward to seeing the finished product. It would look cool on floats...sorry, Im fantasizing.

Anyway, its been a while since Ive done rigging, and Im sure you have your own method. Years ago, before the advent of PE parts ( just tell me to shutup if you dont wanna hear this.) we used heated and stretched sprue. Attaching it is the builders choice, pre-drilled hole or not. I know this is rudimentary stuff but the trick is still coming.

Attach the sprue at each end in its required position. It doesnt need to be taught. A little droop in the sprue is ok. Once the adhesive has cured hard...(heres the trick part)...light a match, let it burn for a second, blow it out, and place the extinguished match close enough to the sprue such that the smoke runs over it. The stretched sprue will retract and pull tight. Ive done it, it really does work even though it sounds like Im nuts.

I hope you dont mind my putting this note here. I meant no harm and will gladly remove it if you wish me to.

Please show us more of your Moth soon...

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing