1/16 Takom Renault FT-17 tank WIP NEW Update 11 , BASE UPDATE PICTURE

TonyT

Jim, it is easy to do, there is not a lot of skill involved, I will do a picture guide for you all,

Basically the white corrosion on aluminium I prime the part ( I used white rattle can car primer but it does not matter )

Next I used Vallejo game colour 72074 gunmetal metal and Game Colour black ( number worn off ) and taking bits from each on a brush I painted the item, if it's not an even mix that's fine, once on just blend a bit until you are happy while wet (any metal or black will do)

Next I I used 70951 model colour white ( any will do ) and I stipples it onto the still Wettish coats, adding a bit of water helps, but just make the colours look unevenish, some I almost drybrush / add as a wash.

I then thinned and used 70940 saddle brown and added / stipples a little of that and on the odd seam as the engine was in a sandy environment.

I then sealed it all with humbrol rattlecan Matt varnish

Next I took a fine brush and when dry, I stippled it with white, blending if required with a bit of the black gun metal mix and that's it...

Rust I either used the AK interactive rust effects 73.106. colours sponged and fine brushed on or for the heavy stuff I used the Vallego pigments rust and oil set No1 stippled onto a coat of MIG acrylic resin for pigments (PO32) I then tweaked it by adding a wash of the black or the AK set mentioned. A light wash of brown or tan was added to blend the odd bit.

Edited by TonyT

It is Paul, I have built up the floor, I cut one of the tread textured floor sections out at the front to make it look like one of the panels had lifted, the Engine and gearbox has been installed onto the floorpan along with the rear axle, the eng mounts and the gearbox and sticks fitted.

On the left side wall of the tank, I have filled the recesses where the racks and radiator plus small tank fits, I have then made a little side wall tank base and glued on some strip where brackets would have been, this has then been sprayed black and weathered with rust etc.

I will try to take some pictures tonight to show you the state of play...... I am pleased with it so far

Edited by TonyT

Thanks, it will probably have a lot of sand added to the bottom when done, the side incidentally isn't glued on, just supported by tape at the moment, I need to do the bulkheads and engine control linkages, the engine bulkhead I am dreading because in all of the images I have it is removed, so I will need to cut it away from the frames and controls etc.

Edited by TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update, Chopped the rear bulkhead out  and added the rest of the engine, added the sides, cut the decking down as it lies on the ground and added the mounting flange, drilled out the alloy tank cap, added a bottom and a sump on the top, still not sure it will remain fitted though... altered the fwd cabin paintwork as it would be white in real life, painted the externals with brush and sponge etc.. on to the photos, sorry if they are darkish or overly bright, but you should get the idea.. as not using the best set up this time, pics are a bit of a let down :(..

Latest%20Update-1_zpsk4lndgn0.jpg

Latest%20Update-6_zps9ndvfzai.jpg

Latest%20Update-4_zpsmi6wjjgd.jpg

Latest%20Update-5_zps4xiutsz1.jpg

Latest%20Update-2_zpsdxj9uqds.jpg

Latest%20Update-3_zpsfm2ishx0.jpg