1/32 BAE Hawk - TNI AU

Mr b

Hi chaps

I have just opened my next build.....The Revell Hawk.......I am sorry I did....

image_zps8yshmiyj.jpeg

There is no side wall details....at all......and the fit looks a bit effy on the underside with a gap under the cockpit....holding the nose and rear flush.

image_zpswbtoe6ge.jpeg

But who can complain about the size.....it's big and external details look ok

image_zpsbdemfgvp.jpeg

That all for today.....thinking on how best to treat the red plastic.....

Thinking of a clean config....with gear up n pilots in......saves me work on the barren cockpit n flaps to cut out....still early days yet.....also deciding on full camo or the red/white/grey scheme not too sure any suggestions will be considered

Till the next update with hopefully some work done

Best Regards

Brian

Edited by Mr b

I'm just doing a Hawk for the Eric Brown GB, and yes, it's got red plastic. Tamiya Grey Primer was suggested, it does seem to work. I'd recommend the Heritage aftermarket bits too.

PS: As for the scheme, red/white/grey is probably better - the full camo ones don't look right without a full ordnance load, and the Red Arrows boxing doesn't have that, as you know.  Besides, red/white/grey is good - there are plenty of variations, have a look at Xtradecals' range.

Thanks Brian and Michael.....noted on the primer....

I have seen your work Micheal...looks good......I do not plan to spend on aftermarket stuff for this kitty.....just a hopefully quick OOB build.....with just generic side wall detailing.....if I can pull it off

Noted on the color suggestion.....thanks

Best Regards

Brian

Edited by Mr b

There is not much detail you can put on the cockpit sidewalls as there is only a form of sound proof padding on it between frames and stringers. The details of switches and and control knobs etc, are confined to the side consoles and I.P.'s. The left sidewalls in both cockpits have anti "G" valves connected to the ejection seats and L.P. cocks  but both are items are barely visible once the seats are fitted. The floor in both cockpits needs raising by approximately 4mm which will help to correct the height of the ejection seats in relation to what is visible above the cockpit sills (the seats are the correct dimensions it is the floor that is too low). I agree that the heritage detail sets will help on a number of other issues. I hope this is of some help.

Bob. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Victor for the information......will be going with an easy obb........

Got a small update.....been preoccupied and busy.....not much of Modelling done....and the red plastic is proofing hard to manage...

image_zps1ffy1yjz.jpeg

image_zps8aod51bv.jpeg

Did some frame work....not meant to be a 100% representation just to make it full. Started on the seat frames too....painted with mr surfacer primer....next should be the base color and weathering

Happy Modelling all

Rgds

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Nice start on the hawk and your detailing for the front offcie will look fine. For me, the key to the Hawk is the finish and she just cries out for a super gloss skin.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Cheers guys

But the build will be stalled. I had to vacate my house.....due to some  urgent stuff which requires immediate action. My wife and me are currently putting up at my dad's place....We were informed that we can get back to our place towards end of the month........another bummer would be that my internet will be restricted to my mobile phone but the positive would give me time to look up some old treasures at home......

Best Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks

I am back on this......finally got some useful progress to show

image_zpsvtblkgpi.jpeg

The sides and cockpit is done

image_zpsql6iach2.jpeg

Fitting is not very good but I think this is solely due to me........lots of clean up required.....in the front area.....

image_zpsx3lrjasn.jpeg

Given the pilots an identity by painting the flag....but now I am committed to an Indonesian bird.....most like a camo bird ...as I saw a nice pic of one with a weathered paint job.....more on that when I come to painting

Overall the kit itself is not too bad.......but ....take TLC.....and never did like the newspaper style instructions given by Revell......lucky they changed......

Thanks folks...

Brian

Great stuff Brian - and love the figures! :thumbsup:

That gap underneath is probably due to one of the forward bulkheads being slightly out of position - on the one I built it all went together perfectly (as did the other two I have part built).

Iain

Thanks Ian

Yes...agreed ...I thought as much..you are spot on.....it's most likely the front cockpit front bulkhead....but I could not wrestle it was worried the whole thing would crack...the side......the kit looks pretty decent in fitting actually.......will not make the mistake on the next one ...I have 1 more.....

Upwards and onwards....till the next update.....Rgds

Brian

Got some work done

image_zpszyrfc0er.jpeg

image_zps2h23pmy0.jpeg

Just out of the bath...so that's y some parts look wet still

Wings and all main parts on. Cleaned the seams.....and a nice hot bath.....also made some very primitive gun sights.....next will be to rescribe some lost lines.....and get the canopy on....thinking about the cockpit dividers revell has give a decal....

Maybe paint shop soon....all depends....happy Modelling folks

Rgds