Two Jeeps

Tomek

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, it’s not that good :blush: . I have a lot of work to build and paint so cleanly as some of you.

Moving slowly forward.

I made all kinds of belts and straps - seatbelts, observer’s lower back strap and straps for batteries and radio. I used strips of regular printer paper and metal foil for buckles. Straight from the factory, cubs had two lower back straps, but I’ve read some opinions that the lower strap was discarded in the field as it didn’t provide any support and in general was useless.

1fcef01e.jpg

SCR 609 radio was a field modification around that time. Most likely this machine would carried one, so I scratch-built one. Together with a long whip antenna it will look very cool. Radio was hooked up to the power cells already. :thumbsup:

16ba1dc2.jpg

d1fe1f04.jpg

I started to glue elements to the floor. I was surprised (again!) how changing the background affects colors of the cockpit. Stupid camera. Anyway, now it’s much closer to the color I see with my naked eye and closer to the OD shade I was aiming for.

7330d3e5.jpg

8d7baa61.jpg

Next, finishing the sides of the fuselage, fuel tank and instrument panel.

Thanks for looking in.

For a while now, I was thinking about laser eye surgery. I've change my mind . It's cheaper to fly to NY. Tomek can easily perform the same job with a pair of scissors. I know he can. :punk:

Excellent work Bro , just outstanding. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martin

Hi Tomek,

Been awhile since I last tuned in here and look what happened! It makes it a pleasure to be back again.

Best regards, +Gil

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Tomek

Just finished re-reading the thread to date and amazing work as always. :thumbsup:

While I've never flown in the L4, I have what seems like countless hours learning to fly and soloing in a J3 way back in 1965! I soloed before I could drive, rode my bike to the airport for my flying lesson (I worked lots of part time jobs to save the money). Back then, the cost for flying was actually affordable:

J3 wet: $13/hour

J3 with an instructor: $21/hour

Of course, minimum wage back then was a whopping $1.47/hr

Learning to fly the Cub and land her was quite a task for a 17 year old but it's nearly all done with the walk. Everyone has lazy feet and once they learn to dance a b it on the rudder pedals, the Cub behaves like a true Lady! :wub:

Just looking at the floor boards and the rudder peddle assemblies and break pedals brings backs some very found memories. :piliot:

Keep the updates coming.

Peter

Hi guys!

Thank you for you warm feedback. I really appreciate it.

Sadly, I haven't have time to do any modeling for a few weeks now. Not enough time even for checking the forums ... Hopefully sometime in September my work load should ease a bit. I really miss modeling ...

Hey Peter,

L-4 is not different that J-3. A military variant was basically done by painting the Cub olive drab :lol: . I'm really envious about your flying experiences. Oh, man what I would do to take her for a spin :piliot:

Guest Peterpools

Tomek

Those sure were the days and the memories of flying a Cub (I was only 17 at the time) still burn bright. Slow and low but in a class by herself.

Peter