B-25J Betty's Dream(ing) of a French Kiss

BloorwestSiR

I'm working on seats too! Except mine come with the kit and aren't scratchbuilt, as yours so competently are. Great work!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom!

The interesting bit is that HGW give you belts for these seats even though the seats aren't in the kit. Which is a good thing or I'd be ha ING to scratch the belts too.

Guest Peterpools

Carl nice to see you back at the B-25's and the BBQ table is slso looking good. Looking forward to seeing some photos of the table ‘in action'.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Carl nice to see you back at the B-25's and the BBQ table is slso looking good. Looking forward to seeing some photos of the table ‘in action'.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! It felt really good getting back to some woodworking. Just haven't had the chance or the space to do so until now. My wife has already got a couple additional projects in mind once I finish the table.

With the cushions and seat frames painted, I glued them together.

DSC_0081-L.jpg

Then onto the fun task of aseembling the HGW belts.

DSC_0083-L.jpg

DSC_0084-L.jpg

The "T" shaped belts are for the turret gunner. I had to use some leftover material to make a couple of the belts (those in white) as I'd mucked them up.

Here's another interesting bit I found out while assembling the belts. HGW give you belts for the flight crew, turret gunner, waist gunners, navigator and radioman. Meanwhile, the Eduard PE belts have the same sets except they have tail gunner belts instead of the turret gunner. So neither one is complete. Also HGW don't give you enough buckles for all the belts.

So I'm going to try and use the leftover material from the HGW belts to make suitably sized belts for the tail gunner using the Eduard PE belts as a reference.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Nice work on the seats and cushions - looks really good. Nothing every seems to go easy and you would think for what HGW and Eduard charge for their fabric seat belts, they would actually include a complete set. Belts really look good and I'm shopping for the right set for my next build :mental:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Just catching up, but amazing build. The HK B-25 is definitely one of those kits I'd love to tackle if I felt I could do it justice.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

The kit interior is quite the blank canvas so you can go nuts like I have on Betty's Dream or just add a bit more like I'm doing on French Kiss.

Oh no Carl, echoes of the Mossie disaster when I read about the B-25 cockpits being crunched! Hope you're able to salvage the work and plug on!

The build is looking great by the way!

It almost seems like HK kits are cursed in my household. I certainly hope not as I've got the B-17F left in the stash and plan to get the Lanc when it comes out.

The copilot's seat for French Kiss still hasn't shown up so I'm going to have to improvise there.

I hope you got yourself a cold one after all these belts. I love the Hgw belts but boy they test my patience!

Good job, kept it up.

David

Thanks David!

They used to drive me batty too until I found a slightly easier way to get them together. Once I started, I got a bit of a rhythm going and got them done. Still took two sittings but that helped too.

Carl

Nice work on the seats and cushions - looks really good. Nothing every seems to go easy and you would think for what HGW and Eduard charge for their fabric seat belts, they would actually include a complete set. Belts really look good and I'm shopping for the right set for my next build :mental:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'm still surprised that they each missed a different position and even more oddly, one that is part of the kit. Whereas they included the belts for the jump seats which aren't there...

And heres the finished belts with a coat of Tamiya Khaki on the ones I made up.

DSC_0090-L.jpg

Next up was the floor for the waist area. I ended up with two different ones. The upper one will fit in French Kiss which has the simpler ribbing while the sliughtly narrower one on the bottom will fit Betty's Dream. I'm going to paint them and get them ready for fitting.

DSC_0091-L.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

I got a bit more completed on Betty's Dream last night. I used the PE upper bomb bay bulkhead as a template to cut out some in sheet styrene.

DSC_0087-L.jpg

DSC_0088-L.jpg

To cut them out, I used a scribing tool and traced the PE bit. It worked like a charm and I soon had seven of them.

DSC_0089-L.jpg

These were then painted and attached to the top of the bomb bay.

DSC_0093-L.jpg

Finally, I installed the bomb bay into the port fuselage half.

DSC_0094-L.jpg

DSC_0095-L.jpg

With a test fit of the partially painted floor.

DSC_0096-L.jpg

I need to add a nonslip surface to the floor and then glue it in place. With that done, I can finish up the waist area.

In some other good news, the copilot's seat for French Kiss turned up so time to work on her a bit too.

Carl