1/32 Revell (new tool) P-51D-5 Mustang

mattlow

What I forgot to say yesterday was that the Airscale decals were Luftwaffe placards and dials.

I think it'd be rather good if Airscale did a set for the Mustang. Something a bit simpler than the excellent but fiddly Barracuda set.

This could also include some red Alclad stamps that were often apparent in the wheel bays and on various unpainted surfaces (and not always on the inside of the aircraft).

Matt

As I've said elsewhere, one thing I am disappointed with is the canopy and Windscreen.

They both have distortion that appears to be a combination of surface irregularity and internal flow marks (so no polishing out). I had a spare Tamiya early canopy which fits beautifully. I tried the windscreen as well. Handily, the windscreen will fit with a little fettling of the mating surfaces. I have now contacted Tamiya's importer and have a couple of spare windscreen sprues on their way to me (for subsequent Mustangs). They were £7.99 each, but if you think of them as aftermarket that isn't too bad (with £4.50 postage).

Their addition really does make quite a difference, especially on that great big canopy. The windscreen sprue also gives you windscreen armour,  two gunsights, rear view mirror, nav lights - so is quite useful.

Tamiya windscreen and canopy in place... look at the lovely clarity... it really raises the kit in my view...

39773644755_85a5a7574d_c.jpgP-51D-5 43 by Matt Low, on Flickr

40668761901_caa67efcfe_c.jpgP-51D-5 44 by Matt Low, on Flickr

The previous and following images show that I need to take a little more material of the bottom of the windscreen (or fuselage) to allow the windscreen to sit properly. The windscreen is sitting over the Revell coaming so no issues there.

39773646195_8e7a1c7165_c.jpgP-51D-5 45 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Finally, the thinness of the Tamiya canopy (Revell's is pretty thin, mind you) makes it naturally 'drop' down onto the spine of the fuselage in the open position. This is a characteristic sit and adds to 'the look'.

26797322078_94a2db2e29_c.jpgP-51D-5 42 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Matt

One thing that strikes me as odd is why you trimmed the ‘ears' of the instrument panel when the above photo clearly shows that you will need to spread the forward canopy a smigen to get it lined up with the fuselage sides? Was the problem that the forward canopy didn't clear the instrument panel?

Just curious

Cheers

Alan

Alan

You're confusing me with someone else (D Bellis). My ears are still complete and I can't really see why anyone would need to cut them off (apart from a certain Vincent). Also it is mostly a gap beneath the windscreen part, rather than a width issue (just looks that way in the photo).

The Tamiya part still needs a little tweaking to get it to sit as far down as it needs. Also note that the Tamiya canopy doesn't quite meet up tidily with the windscreen due to the latter part sitting up a little at the front. Sanding sticks should sort all these little alignment issues.

By the way, there is some top quality Mustang finish/colours discussion going on over at BritModeller on the Missouri Armada thread (linked to earlier).

Matt

Hi Dennis

I should have thought to put the details down..

Remember I had the correct type canopy already so I don't know how much one of those would cost (it comes on its own sprue - M1 I recall). The sprue you want for the windscreen is L parts 9116058. Kit ref is 60322

I emailed initially (service@hobbyco.netand they came back next day with a quote. Then you ring them up and they will take your card details - simple.

The Hobby Company Limited

Garforth Place, Knowlhill, Milton Keynes, MK5 8PG
Telephone  44 (0)1908 605 686
Facsimile    44 (0)1908 605 666  
www.hobbyco.net

Matt

Good deal. that looks great. I wonder if they know the process for this side of the pond, as I was hoping they had a contact that could do the same for US guys.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/faq/customer_service.php

This looks like it is where you need to go...

Matt

Edit: Fuselage went together last night. No nasty surprises yet. Almost all seams went together well. small seam between front of tail gear well and cooler exit needed a little shim rather than squeezing fuselage too hard..

Edited by mattlow

I have noted that the Tamiya canopy may just catch the top of the pilot's head armour - very slightly (or only just misses) I haven't totally cleaned up the attachment on the canopy and one is right on the front lip. If canopy is to be open a definite non-issue.

Now fuselage is closed I shall do a more detailed assessment of fit so you'll know what you're letting yourselves in for.

Matt

Alan

You're confusing me with someone else (D Bellis). My ears are still complete and I can't really see why anyone would need to cut them off (apart from a certain Vincent). Also it is mostly a gap beneath the windscreen part, rather than a width issue (just looks that way in the photo).

The Tamiya part still needs a little tweaking to get it to sit as far down as it needs. Also note that the Tamiya canopy doesn't quite meet up tidily with the windscreen due to the latter part sitting up a little at the front. Sanding sticks should sort all these little alignment issues.

By the way, there is some top quality Mustang finish/colours discussion going on over at BritModeller on the Missouri Armada thread (linked to earlier).

Matt

Hi Matt,

Right-o! Thanks for clearing that up mate!

Great little build happening!

Cheers

Alan

Over on BritModeller, I've had some great help from John Terrell, looking at the stamps on the aluminium of the mustang's skin etc. It shows up mainly in the wells (as that is the inside of the skin) but John showed some images of a restoration which has faithfully replicated those locations where the stamps were on the outside.

Once I saw the stamps in the wheel well I thought I'd need something to represent them. So, a bit of study, some faffing around in MS Word and I had this.

It's  a 'scale-ish' replica. Printed out for a test on plain paper. It'd be good to see someone else do a proper decal run (like MDC did for Luftwaffe alu stamps). There are different versions (mainly for different thickness of alu) but also another manufacturer and a stainless steel stamp I've been made aware of.

Teeny tiny.....

40731579941_93dcdb2d3f_c.jpgP-51D-5 47 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Just about legible...

39836569625_dbf211b18b_c.jpgP-51D-5 46 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Have to try on decal paper now...

Matt

So, after re-ordering the three different lines of text to a more prototypical format, I've printed a few lines of the stamps out.

26863020418_0a9a51880c_c.jpgP-51D-5 48 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Basically you have these lines

A line which just repeats ALCLAD 24 S-T

Another repeating ALCLAD 24 S-T AN-A-13 ALCLAD 24 S-T

The above lines alternate until at what seems to be the 9th line we get  ALCOA REG.TM .051" The REG. and T.M. are directly above each other (can't do that on this system).

There are different thicknesses of alu sheet. .051" is the thickness of the wheel well roof and the outer skin of the inner gear doors. I have also run off a line of .032" (vertical tail skin), .081 (wing fuel tank covers) and .040" horizontal tail skin).. I can use these if I want to depict any stamped outer skin panels.

Matt

I said I'd take a closer look at the canopy fit, before everyone runs off and buys Tamiya parts...

Here's my observations:

38924692950_bd06ac4b48_c.jpgP-51D-5 50 by Matt Low, on Flickr

A: The Tamiya windscreen has a slightly shallower radius than the Revell forward fuselage. Shimming for B (below) won't totally get rid of this and some sanding of the Revell fuselage will be necessary.

B: Tamiya windscreen slightly narrower, will need a little shim on mine.

C: Tamiya windscreen may at its apex (where meeting forward fuselage) sit a fraction taller than fuselage - slight pressure will bring the parts level - shim mentioned at B may help with this matter.

D: Tamiya canopy a smidgen narrower than Revell sill. Not sure if the reinforcing brace could assist with pushing canopy a little wider. Not an issue if the canopy is open.

E: good fit between canopy and windscreen after adjustments made to get Tamiya windscreen to sit correctly.

So, not perfect, but not bad (as it is from a different kit).

39839987945_c40d38893f_c.jpgP-51D-5 51 by Matt Low, on Flickr

38924693450_1e1caa762d_c.jpgP-51D-5 52 by Matt Low, on Flickr

40024821814_e54f8e8c69_c.jpgP-51D-5 49 by Matt Low, on Flickr

One other thing is that your results may vary as there's been so much variation in apparent fit when using the kit parts.

Hope this helps.

Matt