SPAD XIII C.1, Frank Luke Jr. (RODEN 1/32)

Hello, everyone

I recently finished building Frank Luke’s SPAD XIII.

Frank Luke was America's second highest ace in WW1. He shot down 14 balloons and 4 planes just in 10 sorties in 8 days. After making an emergency landing behind enemy lines, he refused to surrender, returned fire with a pistol, and was shot dead.

Roden's SPAD XIII is a little difficult to assemble in some aspects, but the proportions is good. One of the shortcomings of Roden's kit is the quality of the decals. The decals for the unit markings of the 27th aero squadron, to which Frank Luke belonged, were not similar to the real ones, so the decals were printed by tracing photos of the real marking. The checkered pattern on the wings was also corrected to four rows, although the kit has three rows. I used photo etching hexagon mesh for sides of the engine cowling and stealed Vickes guns from extra parts of Copper State Model’s Nieuport kits. 

The Frank Luke figure was sold on Amazon, and although I don't know the manufacturer, the quality is very good.

I also built a Hispano-Suiza 8Ab engine. This is an independent engine kit by RODEN. It is very finely crafted. I highly recommend this kit for everyone. I want more engine kits to be released!

AP1GczOM0Pa_vgYZRMyGDmmh-GBgrCAShjwSu3TG

AP1GczMD_7PYIvw7m5WaLjAZYcHNF3J4MSiI5_zQ

AP1GczMaGtaBMUjU9J6CiAtYwGCHpECGwk-j2lE8

AP1GczP6IRZU-DPlofTHNtyZ_pg02j5vT_fpRq3R

AP1GczP4cCANiR_rsDcVIzFXwgNsvqf7IzcJPPy2

AP1GczOji_TTCZugi7GQlXs3_Qoaso4Lgr7Meg36

AP1GczORV5wl5J03v4qbvhyfk3EN12RGSN95GMmE

AP1GczOephs0ti3qzMscScBK2PdwMT4SJMx-GVhZ

AP1GczMD3Eh34ZRA0wjHrkTGkFsFGDDgLFp28-_P

AP1GczMqDFrECJ0kQa8AiMHBxSceCJrQJqyQmygO

AP1GczN4BIsOzccpicBuw9IKMOpL8Nburq8K7uQM

AP1GczNu4UDCRBtAWTh-EVpDZck5i9Yprn5b2mf6

AP1GczPJ3U4HL9nyozJafQfaxCdqyQriVgkpz-mU

AP1GczPll1Kutf9OBF6yGZdu0wN-OMyV9N6PKP0_

AP1GczNFXev8qvMAqxRIa3wvuLEWoRd4_P_I31gV

AP1GczP7_dsL3SOIe-yfyAdxMdrVAK39_o6RHyhU

On 4/7/2024 at 12:38 AM, sillymodeler said:

Hello, everyone

I recently finished building Frank Luke’s SPAD XIII.

Frank Luke was America's second highest ace in WW1. He shot down 14 balloons and 4 planes just in 10 sorties in 8 days. After making an emergency landing behind enemy lines, he refused to surrender, returned fire with a pistol, and was shot dead.

Roden's SPAD XIII is a little difficult to assemble in some aspects, but the proportions is good. One of the shortcomings of Roden's kit is the quality of the decals. The decals for the unit markings of the 27th aero squadron, to which Frank Luke belonged, were not similar to the real ones, so the decals were printed by tracing photos of the real marking. The checkered pattern on the wings was also corrected to four rows, although the kit has three rows. I used photo etching hexagon mesh for sides of the engine cowling and stealed Vickes guns from extra parts of Copper State Model’s Nieuport kits. 

The Frank Luke figure was sold on Amazon, and although I don't know the manufacturer, the quality is very good.

I also built a Hispano-Suiza 8Ab engine. This is an independent engine kit by RODEN. It is very finely crafted. I highly recommend this kit for everyone. I want more engine kits to be released!

Well done!

May I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Lovely model and an interesting but sad story behind the diorama.   I also like the way you have presented the diorama's base - it has so much more interest and appeal than a 'green carpet'.   Very nice!

Cheers,

Wayne 

• 3 weeks later...