Iwo Jima VLR Mustang - Tamiya 1:48 kit

LSP_K2

OK, some base color spritzed on the interior now. Detail painting to follow. Just for the sake of variety, the seat frame will be a slightly different (darker) green. The Aires bits are really nice, and add a certain serious look to the interior.

x25alB.jpg

I’ve now masked and painted radios and floor using Tamiya tire black, as well as misc wall details. I’m hoping to wrap this up tonight or tomorrow so I can get the fuselage halves zipped up. That may be a bit overly optimistic, as I still yet have to add all of the tiny Barracuda stenciling and placards, which I hope will add some real "zing". We’ll see.

IFvKFy.jpg

I must say that if I ever use this set again, and I probably will, I’ll scrub it thoroughly and primer it before painting. I ripped more paint of this small part than I’ve ever stripped off five other whole models combined, and that’s while using low tack painters tape! Honest to goodness, I’ve ripped paint off different parts of this assembly four or five times now.

j9m8Wq.jpg

After having major fits with fuselage fit issues last night (the thickness of the sidewalls turned out to be the issue, preventing the IP from fitting properly), I finally gave up and decided to attack the problem fresh today. Success! Fuselage now all glued up. Onward and upward, so to speak.

oaCBYW.jpg

My "mission" here of late, has been to slowly gather the remaining bits and bobs that I need to wrap up a few projects, so here are the gorgeous Barracuda wheels for the Mustang. I really don't understand how he pulls off such delicate work, but he certainly does.

mChB7V.jpg

5 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

My "mission" here of late, has been to slowly gather the remaining bits and bobs that I need to wrap up a few projects, so here are the gorgeous Barracuda wheels for the Mustang. I really don't understand how he pulls off such delicate work, but he certainly does.

mChB7V.jpg

Yeah, I really like Roy's work.  The cream-coloured resin can be deceiving and makes the casting less sharp than it really is.  Needs primer and/or paint to see the full picture.

Granted this looks pretty rough, but all of the seams that had been fighting me have now received the big guns (superglue), and sanded out. I also took the opportunity to steel wool the rough Alclad primer areas, and even removed it altogether in certain spots.

Kj5USZ.jpg