1/32 scale Halifax update (sort of)

Cees Broere

Thanks Geoff,

But people like you and all others on this forum I must thank for giving so much inspiration.

It looks like the standard of workmanship of the models has improved massively over

the past few years I have been checking out this board. It never ceases

to amaze me what people can achieve with (seemingly) so simple techniques

and apart from that nobody is embarrased when a mistake is made. Others

jump in to help immediately. It is a joy to see every day what has happened

and if that helps others to improve their skills ( I know mine have) and

persist in a certain subject we all learn from it.

Since I posted some of the pics of my Halifax on this forum I have made much more

progress than the previous years.

It would be nice to see more bomber models instead of fighters. I know it is difficult. I was sorry

to read that lancman had to abandon his Lancaster.

Cheers

Cees

Cees, I couldn't agree more, it is a pity there aren't more large scale bombers. The thing is, when you think of the work involved in making a decent-looking single-engine fighter, it takes a pretty brave person to tackle a big'un. I guess that what makes your build even more special: your considerable skill as a modeler, of course, but also the choice of subject. Your posts are always eagerly awaited this end.

Cheer, jean

" to read that lancman had to abandon his Lancaster."

WHAT??? When did this happen, and why? I was really enjoying that thread, and I thought that he just had not posted in a while... Say it aint so! :)

Thanks John,

Today I have been modelling with a friend of mine (ex-Fokker employee) and made some

items for the full size Halifax cockpit.

This is the compass mounting

Cheers

Cees

post-1045-1150916316_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay but there was a lack of enthusiasm on my part that slowed things

down. But, I have managed to find some new inspiration and that has lead to the chop

for the bombbay detailing. After only 1/3 of the work I got fed up and as I don't have

any better references and a bombload to hang in it. This baby will have a closed bombbay

to speed things up. This is taking too long so get up to speed. Here is a pic of the work on

the bombbay.

Cheers

Cees

post-1045-1165162838.jpg

But I have fitted the transparencies in the fuselage. This went better then expected.

I made the various windows (the portholes oversized) tight fitting and then applied

a bead of superglue around the edges. After an hour it had cured enough to be able

to sand it smooth and it worked out fantastically, now only polishing to bring back the

clearness. I was thinking about toothpaste as I have never done such a thing.

Any ideas

Cheers

Cees

post-1045-1165163032.jpg

Cees,

Very nice work. I have been following this build, and it is impressive (and monumental) to say the least. Almost without fail, when scratch building anything that is problematical, I always find that what I thought was going to be difficult (and spend a lot of time fretting over) invariably turns out quite easy in the end, and vice-versa for things that I had originally considered a 'piece of doddle'. The important thing is to keep at it, even if it is in little nibbles (easiest way to eat an Elephant!). Enthusiasm comes and goes...the complete your project becomes, the easier it shall be to keep the enthusiasm tempo up (hopefully, Dave will also find this with his Whirlwind build). Like many others, I look forward to the next instalment.

Best regards

Derek

Thanks Derek,

You are absolutely correct. Enthusiasm is the drive that keeps these projects alive.

The bombbay was an absolute chore and I became fed up with it. As I said, I do not

have a load to hang into so the decision was easy. Now that the prospect of closing

the fuselage is nearing I can enjoy myself with further detailing the interior (what's

visible at least, although making the T1154/R1155 from scratch doesn't appeal to me

but I have a complete original set at home so plenty of reference).

I also wanted to rescribe the panellines but as this is 1/32 scale and the Halifax had

clearly overlapping skinpanels scribed lines would look out of place.I think that I will

use foil or something similar. This also makes it easier to make sure the joint are smooth

before covering.

I have a two part article by Alan Clark from SMI showing his 1/36 scratchbuilt Halifax.

So if all goes well, the back of the job has been broken. At least for the fuselage.

Cheers

Cees