1/32 scale Halifax update (sort of)

Cees Broere

Hi all,

It's been some time since I showed any progress of my Halifax build. Having a 1/1 scale Halifax cockpit section doesn't help any progress as well but I will have to manage won't I.

Since the last few pics there has been some progress with the pilot's position completely rebuilt with new floors, pilot's bulkhead. You probably won't see much difference but at least I know it's there.

The ID models tailplane was not very good with uneven halves (and uneven thicknesses). I had to make new tailfins from thick plasticcard which I made in sections according to panellines, this had the advantage that I didn't have to scribe panellines but they were built in. The tailplane had to be remade as well by glueing three layers of the same thick plastic card and carving and sanding to shape. The fairings will have to be made from thinner card which would save me some time (and fingers). The rudders and elevators will be made using ribs and spars in the same fashion as the original perhaps this will be skinned with tissue or left as is (an underwater diorama of NA337 perhaps). The problem with such a big aeroplane is that it takes a lot of work to even finish the interior and I am only halfway. The frames and stringers took a whole week of evening for each fuselage half. The centre section as provided by the kit is too thin and will have to made from scratch as well but this is a simple shape. The outer wings are reasonable and can be used. The whole thing is comparable to Lancman's Lancaster.

As you can see the clear parts have yellowed badly and will have to made anew as well. Don't know how to tackle those but that will be some time before I have reached that stage.

In case the pics don't work, I have sent them to LSP Chris as well as some pics of my 1/1 Halifax floor section using copies from the original drawings and as many original parts and fittings as possible.

Hope you like them, and feel free to comment, I am amazed at the quality of your work on this site.

Cheers

Cees

Hmm didn't work again. Chris can you help please?

Cees

Now that is impressive! Can you give us an idea on what the fuselage length and wingspan will be when its finished? And where will you display it?

Dave/ironman1945

Hi Alan

Grüss dich,

I am from Amsterdam, but having lived for the past five years

in Naarden which is fifteen kilometres to the east, I am in the

process of moving back to Amstelveen which lies between

Amsterdam and Schiphol Airport.

Apart from the Halifax I also have two FM Halifaxes in 1/48 scale

on the bench. I like Halifaxes, can you tell?

Cheers

Cees

post-4-1145905653_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

I really like you Whirlwind project, very inspiring.

Wingspan is almost a metre and lenght about seventy centimetres

I will make the wings detachable otherwise space will be difficult.

B)

Cees

post-4-1145905819_thumb.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Cees;

Some intense work there mate. Really nice work on both the 1/1 and the 32nd Halibags! I'll be looking forward to watching this one come along!

Cheers,

Jay