1/32 scale Halifax update (sort of)

Cees Broere

I love it Cees! The scale is great.I can remember when 1/32 was thought of as big.Go for it! Dare to be different.I am sure that there is a museum somewhere that would be glad to find space if you cant find enough at home. ;)

Cheers! John.

Hi John,

In the workshop where I am building my full scale Halifax cockpit there is room enough for the finished model. I share this workshop with a friend of mine who is building his own cockpit, a full size Lancaster cockpit section.

Both will be built to factory specifications.

Cheers

Cees

Some more pics of the 1/32 Halifax.

This is the general layout witht he wings and tailplane.

Rescribing this will be a hell of a job and I have very little

experiene with rescribing, but live and learn.

post-4-1145987289_thumb.jpg

The fuselage of the 1/32 ID Models Halifax compared to the

fuselag of the 1/48 Fonderie Minatures Halifax. The interior of the

forward fuselage is also being fitted with frames, stringers etc.

I like the large scale though, less fiddely.

post-4-1145987513_thumb.jpg

Hopefully better view of the interior with navigators station fitted. The pilot's chassis hasn't been fitted as this is being rebuilt. Having copies of original drawings available is not always a good idea as you can see what's wrong and you have to rework it again. I started this kit in 1996 and worked on it of and on and even sold it five years ago but got it back late last year. It's a labour of love and you learn a lot of an airframes construction.

I hope to start painting the interior after I have moved house soon. You can clearly see that the older work has yellowed a bit compared to the clean white parts which are of more recent date.

post-4-1145987730_thumb.jpg

The problem with big bomber kits is that there is a lot of glazing through which many details can be seen. I had to blank off the rest area in the centre fuselage section otherwise I had to detail the entire lenght of the fuselage, something I wasn't looking forward to. ;)

The Halifax has a very distinctive canopy so I wanted to get this right from the start but the kits canopy doesn't fit anymore but even in unmodified form it didn't fit. These large kits are great but you need a lot of time. Some of you on this forum (Larry) seem to work very quickly on these basic kits.

Cheers

Cees

post-4-1145987995_thumb.jpg

Hi Cees! those are great pics but I sure am partial to the larger scale.Or course I love to do detail.

My dad flew both the Lanc and the Halifax early in his RCAF career, when he was with Ferry Command out of Dorval Airport, just a short distance from where i live today.

I am a member of the Warplane Heritage in Hamilton where they have the Lanc and also the RCAF Memorial in Trenton where they have the Halifax.

I am telling you all this because if you need any info in the future ,and I may be of some help both to you or your friend building the Lanc.,please feel free to ask.

Cheers! John. ;)

Thanks for the offer John,

I actually provided quite a few parts to the restoration of NA337. Among which is a complete Hercules gearbox and propeller assembly that came from a Halifax which crashed in the south of Holland during 1944.

Great job your Canadians are doing to keep the memory of the aircraft and aircrew alive. Something that we all are doing on this forum as well.

A few years ago I bought two Revell Beaufighters to cannibalize for parts. The Hercules engines and props will be used as some parts from the nacelles. They were very cheap at the time so I wasted no time. Only the gearbox needs a change of shape.