1976 Hasegawa F-104 E , Kicked up the ass .....art imitates life .....

Following the 1957 Defence White Paper’s cancellation of manned aircraft development by the ridiculous Duncan Sandys, (Defence Secretary at the time), many promising UK aircraft projects came to a close. 

As well as wholesale project cancellations, the forced mergers in the UK aircraft industry resulted in English Electric going bankrupt despite having good order books for both Canberra and formally the Lightning. 

By 1960 the policy of “no manned aircraft” is looking increasingly pointless, and the UK is forced to re-evalute.

Industrial espionage by Lockheed, (namely by taking the infamous ‘headless man” pictures from the Duchess of Argyles dubious afternoon activities), then blackmailing Sandys into forcing through a multimillion pound deal to buy 300 of the F104 E (English) for the RAF . 

Using a licence built J79 (as a slap to RR), although with the new Red Top missiles developed for the cancelled Lighting, they entered service in 1964, just 12 months after Starfighters were withdrawn from frontline US service. 

A step advance over the Gloster Javelin, the 104’s problems of stability and high accident rate also dogged the UK’s fleet. Eric Brown described the Starfighter as a hot ship, that "has to be flown every inch of the way", but recommended developing the supersonic Buccaneer II instead. In service they became known as the 'Jinx Jet' . 

Various upgrades came as Lockheed developed the G variant, and later, the  proposed purchase of F111’s were intended to replace what had been the short term ‘interceptor problem’.  

With F111’s also cancelled in 1970, 104E’s soldiered onto into the early 1980’s when they were phased out in favour of UK spec F15s. 

It remains one of the UK’s worst procurement fiascos up until the recent decision to buy the F35 …another Lockheed “one size, fits no one, and costs way too much” effort. 

As this is a fun / silly build I have forked out for the cheapest lawn dart as opposed to the Italeri offering, it will be OOB, no AM lipstick for this pig, markings will be masked, and missiles made. 

Laterz

PW 

Edited by Panzerwomble

I've often wondered about the F-104 in RAF service. Actually it could have had many plus points,  not least interoperability with other NATO partners who used them.

I'm thinking, though, it would have been an F-104K, in line with the F-4K, F-111K and C-130K  but your alternative history,  your choice of designation.

Interested to see how this turns out.

Edited by MikeC

On 3/5/2024 at 7:06 PM, MikeC said:

I've often wondered about the F-104 in RAF service. Actually it could have had many plus points,  not least interoperability with other NATO partners who used them.

I'm thinking, though, it would have been an F-104K, in line with the F-4K, F-111K and C-130K  but your alternative history,  your choice of designation.

Interested to see how this turns out.

Good point -although wasn't the F-4K a US  designation in RAF/ FAA service "FGR 1/2? , C-130 were C1/W2/C3.?..all semantics I suspect . :D

The Revell turned up , it was a complete Richard III ...not worth a tube of glue TBH ....so flashed out for the Hasegawa instead ...equally old but probably a better base.......... yes......... will be buying the Italeri by next Friday no doubt. :blush:

243043-14481-73-pristine-jpg.avif

So apart from the EE Lightning being the finest fighter ever for shure., I have a soft spot for the old Widowmaker.

Back ...no ...........way back when ...no even further back please ......, in my trippy dippy psychedelic youth , my love of prog rock was strong , and this particular album has happy memories . As far as I know it's the only album soley dedicated to an aircraft model ( don't correct me if I'm wrong) , 

temp-Imagej-DCv-Rw.avif

Linky link

.......so for your delight and delectation , please join me down the rabbit hole of 1974 and the magnificence of Bob Calvert's / Hawkwind's meanderings  .... or just sit along for a build log and ignore the music ...it probably hasn't dated well. . Either way I'll be singing along . Enjoy ... or not ....

Laterz 

15 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Good point -although wasn't the F-4K a US  designation in RAF/ FAA service "FGR 1/2? , C-130 were C1/W2/C3.?..all semantics I suspect . :D

Absolutely, so yours would be a Starfighter F1 ( or FGA or FS perhaps). As for semantics, call it the F-104E for "English" and you couldn't base them at Lossiemouth or service them at St Athan :wicked::D

2 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Absolutely, so yours would be a Starfighter F1 ( or FGA or FS perhaps). As for semantics, call it the F-104E for "English" and you couldn't base them at Lossiemouth or service them at St Athan :wicked::D

Very good !!:P 

Little did you know that in 111 Sdn they painted them shocking pink and referred to them rudely as what came out of the Zipper !

Aha the possibilities are endless . 

Posted (edited)

So.......... Hasegogo from 1976 ....think 1/72 but thicker .....boy this one's thick . Quick to build though. Going together with ease ....

Also - Spent 3 hours playing with my Silhouette todays , I might be able to make some roundals now . 

#full1970s

Renamed the thread as this clearly won't be anywhere near Chuck's country , and I don't think the book will help me either :P

temp-Imagej-GLx4-S.avif

More music though ....so that can't be all bad . 

Edited by Panzerwomble

• Panzerwomble changed the title to 1976 Hasegawa F-104 E , Kicked up the ass ..... 111 Sdn 1965 maybe
Posted (edited)

Ready for cockpit check .....I relented and have a resin bang seat on the way for later in the build .

Which means the lower mould part of the seat had to be chopped out hence the hole ....or maybe it's for downwards ejection ...

Meanwhiles , 

temp-Image-F4ob-E2.avif

temp-Image-Nus1y5.avif

All never to be seen again in any detail :blink:

Edited by Panzerwomble

So hows the fit Womble ???

Well here’s the old fupstick in my Seam Persuader 3000 TM , just getting ready to apply the Bondo. I’ve found about 20lbs is just right to tighten the fuse together. CA ‘n Zip kicker round 3. 

Reckon a few coats and we should be good to rock. Like how the glue imitates life ...

temp-Imagec-BUOBh.avif

Meanwhile …more in the dark saga ….

Laterz 

I don't feel fear or panic ,

Nothing brings me down 

I'm an aero-spaceage warrior 

I fly sideways through sound ...........

It's in one big lump after a days work , 4 layers of primer , a lot of filing , sanding and filling . Overall not a bad fit but needs to be good for the NMF .

Drying in the upper atmosphere ....

temp-Imagec-Tv-Hxb.avif

Ah .........but how does she handle ??

12 minutes ago, DugyB said:

Is this a stealth bird?  I can’t see a bleeping thing … :hmmm:

100's of proper build logs on here .. .this is intended for entertainment alone :P

Damn thing's so big it needs to hang up to bake the paint . :blink: I liked the lens flare too .