HK B-25

Rob Colvin

I picked up a b-25H and it had a set clear parts for the J (some minor work done)........the entire forward nose, boxes, floor, guns and ammo feeds were all in clear plastic.....is that normal? On a seperate note, i kinda wish it was the 8 gun nose.

Edited by Rob Colvin

What's the item number of the kit you have?  I'm a little confused by your post as HKM only ever made J-model kits, there were J's with both nose styles, low level attack and medium level bomber. 

I did kit the strafer 01E02 years ago and none of the nose parts were clear.  I hadn't heard of a boxing with all clear parts for the nose either, but I'm far from an expert.

6 hours ago, ChuckD said:

What's the item number of the kit you have?  I'm a little confused by your post as HKM only ever made J-model kits, there were J's with both nose styles, low level attack and medium level bomber. 

I did kit the strafer 01E02 years ago and none of the nose parts were clear.  I hadn't heard of a boxing with all clear parts for the nose either, but I'm far from an expert.

Actually they also released a B-25H kit.  Still, I don’t remember any with the nose parts all in clear plastic either..

I'm curious about the side gun pods on 2 of these kits - are they accurate? AMS sold a B-25 gun pod set with blisters on them. Were these just a different type, or are the kit parts inaccurate?

AMS32069.jpg

I think there was a limited edition clear version that was sold through Sprue Brothers. It had a complete clear fuselage assembly and 2 different style of noses. 

HK did several boxings like that. One of mine came with the optional nose weight and metal gear legs. Both were cast in zinc so weren't the squishy SAC stuff. 

22 hours ago, BiggTim said:

I'm curious about the side gun pods on 2 of these kits - are they accurate? AMS sold a B-25 gun pod set with blisters on them. Were these just a different type, or are the kit parts inaccurate?

AMS32069.jpg

I believe these were more accurate than the kit parts, or at least more refined. There were ultimately two different styles... early war, fitted to C's and D's that were more square and were a single pack that held two guns, and these style, fitted to J's, that had individual fairings for each gun.

This of course doesn't include the field mods where they installed 20mm cannons in the side blisters, too. If you ever want to go down a fun rabbit hole, look at all the cool field mods for the B-25 gunships, and also look up the proposed strictly gunship B-25G, that deleted the bomb bay and had two 30mm cannon instead!

-Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

On 1/27/2024 at 5:12 PM, Rob Colvin said:

I picked up a b-25H and it had a set clear parts for the J (some minor work done)........the entire forward nose, boxes, floor, guns and ammo feeds were all in clear plastic.....is that normal? On a seperate note, i kinda wish it was the 8 gun nose.

I had a similar issue where I purchased the glass nose version and then decided I wanted to build the 8 gun nose. Check ebay, as I was able to find the small 8 gun nose sprue being sold separately for a pretty small cost.