Spifire Vb, VZ-H (AD291). P/O J.G.Magee RCAF. Information request please

Hello cognoscenti, I am hoping for some help please.

Whilst researching RCAF squadrons based at RAF Digby, Lincs in WWII I stumbled across the tale of Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee. 

He composed and wrote the poem "High Flight"

I've found one or two articles about the gentleman and one or two images of what appears to be his aircraft but my plea is for information and reference photos if anyone knows of any.

In the link he is standing on the wing next to some text.

Edit* The aircraft he is pictured lounging on was VZ-B "Brunhilde" in which he had a dodgy landing and damaged a wingtip apparently.

It would be a nice project to recreate his aircraft for a number of reasons.

RAF Digby is under 10miles (14km) as the crow flies from where I live so it would be my way of paying tribute to this young man who paid the ultimate price.

My research continues but if anyone has any information I'd be very grateful. 

Cheers,

Guy 

Edited by geedubelyer

It seems Guy that finding clear pictures of this particular Spitfire is pretty unlikely unless there are some in the book “Touching the Face of God”, but I imagine the author would have said that he had some in his posts on RAF Commands. I can look up the ORBs for the Squadron but that’s not going to tell you very much other than the ops that Magee went on flying  “Brunhilde”. Let me know if you’d like them though.

Edited by mozart

And here is the ORB info Guy; firstly an extract from the "Record of Events" showing that some of the squadron were practicing formation and "cloud" flying on 11.12.41 and that Magee was at the controls of AD291 (though he flew several other Spits during the earlier part of the month too)…see later post:

Ha6gvF.jpg

followed by an extract from the "Summary of Events" complied by the Squadron Adjutant which explains Magee's death, followed by his funeral 2 days later:

pdtIQX.jpg

Rather ironic that G/Cpt Campbell should be lecturing on "Caution in Flying" that same evening....co-incidence?

And an excellent biography of Magee with a couple of other Spitfire photos.  Magee wasn’t senior enough within the squadron to have been allocated his “own” Spitfire (that was usually the preserve of flight commanders and above), so I think you could safely get away with modelling any that he actually flew. The difficulty is finding an individual squadron code letter to match a serial number.

Edited by mozart

It seems that when Magee joined 412 Squadron on 30 June 41 the squadron was flying Spitfire Mk IIs, they began equipping with Mk Vs mainly in October. These are the serial numbers of the Spits Magee flew in that month:

P8250, P8145, P7856, P7759, P6612, P8086, P8369, P8391……all I think (assume without checking) Mk IIs.

In November he flew:

W3958, AD329, AD291, AD305, AA843, AA748, AD429….again I assume those beginning with two letters are Mk Vs.

So if you are keen to model any of Magee’s planes there’s quite a choice.