Large Scale Aircraft 'in flight' - how ?

Chris Ward

9 minutes ago, Chris Ward said:

I guess, as previously mentioned Wolfgang (may I call you Wolf ?) it depends on the eye of the beholder and what it expects to see. For myself, I am very intolerant of any attempt to model motion - I dislike figures in 'action' poses for this reason.

That said, if the aftermarket were to produce an etch of a representative spinning prop in, say, 20 strands of differing thickness for each of the major scales, I'm sure they would sell lots of them. And if they have, could someone post a link to it here, as it would be a worthy capture for the thread ?

Best,

C.

Nope, I’m not Wolf but you may call me Max!  Propblur make thin metal “blades in motion” which personally I like but others amongst our august members hate them.  

U9BU2R.jpg

qTV6YU.jpg

Edited by mozart

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Nope, I’m not Wolf but you may call me Max!  Propblur make thin metal “blades in motion” which personally I like but others amongst our august members hate them.  

U9BU2R.jpg

qTV6YU.jpg

I use a lot of propblur products.  I personally believe the 1/32 blades...while more fragile...are more representative of a prop in motion.  The 1/48 propblur's, while useful, look a little "heavy" to my eye.  But it's really the only game in town.  I am working with one of the 'Model Geeks' here in Southern Maryland trying to 3D print something in 1/48-72 that looks less "heavy".  Nice Texan!!

Cheers

Collin

On 12/8/2023 at 2:01 AM, mozart said:

And despite what ingenious creative method one comes up with for mounting the aircraft, the elephant in the room for prop planes is the stationary v spinning (or simulation thereof) blades. Good as it is in every respect, the stationary blades destroy that amazing Lanc in my eyes. 

Another alternative: 

I'm glad I checked in and found this thread - I'm also planning this Corsair in flight, and I thought I had a decent engineering solution, utilizing the screw mount that Tamiya included for their stand.  I hadn't even considered using magnets but now I'm rethinking my plan and seeing if magnets might work better. 

On 12/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Bstarr3 said:

I hadn't even considered using magnets but now I'm rethinking my plan and seeing if magnets might work better. 

Hello Sir,

Magnets certainly will work, a 15mm diameter disc that is 5mm thick has almost frightening power - they need careful handling and you do not want to get any part of you between two of them.

I am currently experimenting with a rectangular magnet inside the fuselage and a 'disc on a stick' outside. It seems to be all about the siting of the internal magnet(s).

Don't overlook the extra possibilities offered by drop/slipper tanks and even bombs too.

I am trying to summon the courage to try one unattached, i.e. floating inside the fuselage, thus allowing (theoretically) unlimited positioning and have ordered a Tamiya Fieseler V1 doodlebug to experiment with. Thinking ahead, past that experiment, maybe a loose magnet inside a sealed, fixed tube might be the way to go to minimise the potential for internal damage...

C.

1 hour ago, Chris Ward said:

Hello Sir,

Magnets certainly will work, a 15mm diameter disc that is 5mm thick has almost frightening power - they need careful handling and you do not want to get any part of you between two of them.

I am currently experimenting with a rectangular magnet inside the fuselage and a 'disc on a stick' outside. It seems to be all about the siting of the internal magnet(s).

Don't overlook the extra possibilities offered by drop/slipper tanks and even bombs too.

I am trying to summon the courage to try one unattached, i.e. floating inside the fuselage, thus allowing (theoretically) unlimited positioning and have ordered a Tamiya Fieseler V1 doodlebug to experiment with. Thinking ahead, past that experiment, maybe a loose magnet inside a sealed, fixed tube might be the way to go to minimise the potential for internal damage...

C.

I went ahead and used the screw that Tamiya supplied for my in-flight corsair, but I'll be experimenting with magnets for sure for future in flight builds.  I'd really like to figure a way to do a true floating in flight display with repelling magnets, but that would probably be hard to get the balance right.  The payoff would be awesome, though. 

16 minutes ago, Bstarr3 said:

I'd really like to figure a way to do a true floating in flight display with repelling magnets, but that would probably be hard to get the balance right.  The payoff would be awesome, though. 

It is being done, using an electro-magnetic field - but not 100% reliably as far as I have seen to date.

It's also so far over my head that my hair doesn't even move.

Obviously something that has radially symmetrical weight, like a flying saucer, would be the perfect test case.  Airplanes have a balance point though, and if you carefully situated the magnet around the balance point, it seems like you could do one strong magnet in the middle for a floating display.  

This is for sale on Amazon for $60.  God knows I've spent more than that on things for this hobby before.  I might just have to try it out.

319eeYPZzfL._AC_.jpg

From what I have seen the problem seems to be that the 'levitated' item wants to wander off in the horizontal plane - therefore, I think the way forward would be a 'booth' with magnetised wingtips, so that it can realistically move around, but not very far before it is pushed back centrally.

It will happen.

If it hasn't already....