A Day in the War in Vietnam

Finn

Very cool!  Thank you for posting these.  I was surprised to see the F-100s in the first video painted gray - the majority of photos I've seen have them in SEA camo.  Perhaps this was shot shortly after those aircraft arrived in theater.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I enjoyed seeing the B-57 rotating bomb bay door in action, but was very surprised how slow it was.  Was it really that slow in actual combat, or just a slow ground mode?

In flight to fully open takes 4 seconds and 6 seconds to close according to the manual.

Jari

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Very cool!  Thank you for posting these.  I was surprised to see the F-100s in the first video painted gray - the majority of photos I've seen have them in SEA camo.  Perhaps this was shot shortly after those aircraft arrived in theater.

These are some great films!

The F-100s in the film are painted silver. As it weathered, it took on a dull tone that could look grey in some lighting. They started camouflaging them around 1965.

I was impressed by the amount of runway the F-100s used to get off the ground. It looked like one didn’t lift off until ~1000 ft from the end of the runway. Heavy bomb load and high heat and humidity must’ve made for some interesting takeoffs!

Ben