1/48 HB Ta-152C-1 prototype

kensar

I picked up this kit at a model show for $10, so I was willing to accept some inaccuracies and difficulties in building, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The box art is not very impressive.  I can't attest to the accuracy of the profile because I didn't compare it to line drawings.  The kit has only one build option - for the V6 prototype.  This model is of the C-1 variant - the ground attack version with the short wingspan.  The panel lines on the wing look correct for this plane.  The kit gives me the impression of a limited production kit.  The parts count is very low, similar to Hasegawa's Macchi kits.  There is a PE fret included.  The gray plastic is quite soft.  The panel lines are okay in width, but vary in depth in different areas. The kit radiator is for a Dora 9, not a Ta152, so I used a Quickboost resin part, and the prop blades don't look correct, so I used an Eduard prop from the parts box.  The engine plug looked lacking in detail and I added an ammo box up in the fuselage, but unless you turn the model upside down and look into this area, you can't see these details anyway.  The decals are good and settle nicely with some setting solution.  There is a ridge on the wing root that is on the inside of the wheel well that really needs to be filed away, or it appears the wheels would not go into the wheel well.

This is the first model I used MRP paints and I'm not impressed with how the paint crazed the bare plastic, so if you use MRP paint, be sure to prime first.  The parts fit is good.  

I would not hesitate to buy another HB kit in this line of subjects.  I do wish HB would produce an H version with the long wingspan, but the differences between the C and H versions mean the H would be a completely different kit.

Edited by kensar

• kensar changed the title to 1/48 HB Ta-152C-1 prototype

Good assessment of the HB kit.

I would add the the bump on the left side of the top cowl should blend into it softly rather than the hard angle as molded.

Also the cowl louvres are completely wrong as they should trapezoidal in shape.

Really nice model, well done!

If you have a D-11, D-16 or Ta152 intake, you could modify the kit to make one of the few short wing, Jumo engined recon version built.

Alain