Best matching modeling paint for the British Sky Type S color?

Eli Raphael

• Eli Raphael changed the title to Best matching modeling paint for the British Sky Type S color?

LOL...A very subjective question and depending on the crowd, can degenerate into a fist-fight pretty quick.  However, I use an old, long out of production Floquil enamel RAF Sky.  I also have the representative Tamiya color (I think it may be XF-21) among others.

Edited by Juggernut

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

LOL...A very subjective question and depending on the crowd, can degenerate into a fist-fight pretty quick.  However, I use an old, long out of production Floquil enamel RAF Sky.  I also have the representative Tamiya color (I think it may be XF-21) among others.

That's an understatement. Almost as elusive as ww2 IJN J3! Heaven knows I've been chasing that around the block for many years. I used to use Model Master's sky type S, but since it's no longer around , I've switched to Mr. Color C-26[ called "duck egg green", ,works for me. XF-21 will work pretty good too. Don't fret too much ,just get it in close, it'll be alright. 

Yep, a long running debate. I use Tamiya XF-21 and mix it with a bit of white until it matches the colour I expect to see.

I have the AK interactive versions, but have not tried them yet. I expect I will take the same approach if they don't match my mental colour chart.

Hi Eli, there were several colors called Sky. The 'type S' , the S stands for smooth which was their

description of what we would call satin. Something between gloss and matte. It was a light grey-green

shade, but as they were mixed in the field, they varied. I've used MRP Sky with a little white and yellow.

As Don says, it's best to either find what you think looks the most like what you would expect, or mix

your own. I think it's safe to say that there is no paint available today that is exactly accurate Sky type S.

Have fun.