I had a stroke

Woody V

Hi Woody,

Happened to me last januari, sucks. I was lucky one of my co workers recognized what was happening to me and I was rushed to the hospital. In the ambulance they hooked me up to bloodthinner and at first things did not look that good but I made a recovery on my way to the second hospital. 

I only remember watching my hands and wondering why they did not work, strange feeling to lose control over your body. And I also could not speak but that is something they told me later, I did not have a clue. There was no warning, no pain no nothing I only remember beiing dumbfounded.

I am lucky, on medicine to keep the blood fluid and to keep my hartrate down, it turned out to be a problem with my hart that caused the TIA. On my way back but never to normal I am afraid, but I am close so that will do. No use in chasing something that is gone.

There is only one thing that really bothers me. I look back to the stroke as having a really bad day, and basicly that is what is was for me (although I scared the living daylight out of everyone in my surrounding.) but suddenly out of the blue I am a heartpatient and a risk. I am a fiberoptic engineer so offshore work is out of the question. It can be a problem even driving a car according to some goverment instances and insurance companies, but the docters gave me an ok for that. I act like nothing happened but it is hard to convince other people from that. How are your experiences with that?

As stated by others it is very important to recognize what happens and asap to the hospital.

Rick.

Edited by vvwse4

Hello Woody, I'm both sorry you had a stroke and relieved that it's now better.

Take care of yourself and you had a very good idea to remind everyone what the symptoms of this can be.
This took my mom a few years ago, and I have to admit I never got over it.

It was her second stroke.

The first had left her in a rather tired state, but her hemiplegia had quickly disappeared and she was able to resume a "normal" life.

The second was unfortunately fatal.
Too fast, too hard to accept, no time to say the important things.

It's a wound that will never heal.

I wish you all the best for the future.
Sincerely, Denis.

15 hours ago, Furie said:

Hello Woody, I'm both sorry you had a stroke and relieved that it's now better.

Take care of yourself and you had a very good idea to remind everyone what the symptoms of this can be.
This took my mom a few years ago, and I have to admit I never got over it.

It was her second stroke.

The first had left her in a rather tired state, but her hemiplegia had quickly disappeared and she was able to resume a "normal" life.

The second was unfortunately fatal.
Too fast, too hard to accept, no time to say the important things.

It's a wound that will never heal.

I wish you all the best for the future.
Sincerely, Denis.

I'm so sorry, Denis.

My mother had her first stroke while her friends stood by confused as to what was going on. They then called my sister but by the time my sister arrived and realized what was happening and called EMS the damage was done. She could no longer communicate but after months of therapy she could just barely speak.

Then she had another stroke and just gave up. The cause of her death on her death certificate was "Failure to thrive." which means she just gave up living.

My mother was my guardian angel. Her inability to speak was my symptom and how I knew what was happening to me, so it can be said that she remains my guardian angel, even from the grave.

There's more to life than we know.

Woody

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2023 at 7:01 AM, Rick Griewski said:

I am just checking in on you. I hope all is still going well.  How is the cat shelter coming along?  

Hi Rick,

Frankly, it's like it never happened. I don't feel any different than I did before, however they did discover some heart irregularities which I'm working on with my cardiologist. Weird, but it looks like I lucked out having the stroke, otherwise this heart thing would never have been discovered. 

The cat farm is doing well, but it's time consuming and expensive.

Thanks for your concern.

Woody

Edited by Woody V