HK Models B-17 E/F...and G?

spreckair

I just received the HK Models B-17E/F kit and was examining the sprues.  In addition to all of the E/F sprues, my box included sprues to make a G model (G model nose, including glazing, and Cheyenne tail).  I have seen on other posts that the E/F kit does not have these sprues.  Has anyone else noticed the inclusion of these sprues?  

If they do now I may order one that would be awesome.  I wish there was someway you can tell, maybe it’s added into all of them since it’s a newer release….

I've heard rumor that the newest B-17F release (the one with Memphis Belle landing on the box art) contains all the relevant B-17G parts as well. Which would have to be the nose halves, chin turret, nose interior bits (nose floor, chin turret controls, ammo boxes, etc), late top turret, solid-pane waist windows, and Cheyenne tail bits. This all would effectively give you the option of early G models (unstaggered waist gun positions), but still sans the 3-pane waist gunner windows, which haven't been made in 1/32 as of yet.

So, the rumor is they removed the E-model parts, and added the G parts essentially. Does this sound correct?

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

@thierry laurent Yes and yes.  Same experience as @bevelduc above.  My first E/F kit purchased three years ago does not have the extra parts, but my recent purchase from the Sprue Brothers sale has them.  Since I am not familiar with all of the G sprues, I cannot tell if all of the nose interior parts for the G are there, but the nose, nose glazing, chin turret, second top turret, and Cheyenne tail turret are included.

@Dennis7423  The E parts are all included.

I purchased the second kit because I was torn on whether to build the E or F.  Now I am torn on whether to build a G.  Definitely a first world problem.  :doh:

Edited by spreckair
More info

Well, you probably won't find that many B-17G's with the pumpkin (aka Cheyenne) turret and unstaggered waist windows.  I'm not saying there are none but they're hard to find.  Little Miss Mischief (91st BG, 324th BS, DF*F, Serial No. 42-37880, B-17G-35 VE) that had the OD/NG aft  fuselage (from frame 7 aft), eventually had a pumpkin turret installed in her and she had unstaggered waist guns. That's one possibility and there are others...they're just not that prevalent.   You're more apt to find the standard tail turret and unstaggered waist windows on earlier B-17G's, more OD/NG grey than natural metal finish but the silver ones do exist and are much more prevalent than B-17's with the pumpkin turret and unstaggered waist windows.  You can even find examples of B-17G's with staggered waist windows, the pumpkin turret, AND OD/NG paint.  About 200 or so Douglas built B-17G's were manufactured in such a condition prior to the switch to overall natural metal finish.  But since you're limited to the fuselage halves with unstaggered waist windows, it narrows the field somewhat. Now if HK had included that other fuselage half, then the options (external characteristics) would be almost limitless for the G series; the fuselage interiors are a little different between staggered and unstaggered waist windows. 

And just to throw another curve at'cha, the very first B-17G's used the same upper turret glazing that was used on the late B-17F's.  There's a few more curve-balls that can be thrown regarding the late B-17F's and early G's too. 

Boy, If I had the opportunity to design and 3D print the UAL 3-pane enclosed waist windows, I might do just that.  Something tells me that the single-pane enclosed waist window (in whatever iteration) was somewhat larger than the standard gun opening in the F and early G's.  I have to do some digging to verify or refute my premise; it may just be an optical illusion.  I do have a copy of  the UAL blueprint for the 3-pane waist window but there's no details regarding the specific sizes of the window installation itself.

Edited by Juggernut

@Juggernut  Thank you for the info, and for helping me decide not to build a G from these kits.  After reading Martin Caidin's "Ragged Rugged Warriors", I am chompin' to build an early Pacific Theater E.  The second will be an ETO F.  And maybe someday I will see the G on sale, who knows...

@VIPER0177  You haven't lost your mind.  You are just as addicted to 1/32 as the rest of us sorry souls.  There are worse addictions.