USS Constitution Tribute Build

Greif8

The carronades are finished!  This was quite the sub-assembly to say the least and I added a good week or more to the build by opting to go with aftermarket carriages and carronades and added to the insanity by fully rigging all 22 of them.  I think I am now trained as far as strooping blocks go though.  I admit up front that I am not entirely satisfied with how the carronades turned out, though they do look ok.  I suspect that the training tackle would have be wrapped off on the bulkheads until it was needed to keep the lines surrounding the carronades to a minimum.  I tried various solutions to loop and hang the training lines but there is just not enough room between the carronades to be able to loop and hang 44 lines without it looking like a furball.  While to end result if not horrible, I would have liked to have figured out a way to hang those lines.  The area around the carronades certainly looks "busy".

Lengthwise shot from aft showing the aftermost carronades.

IMG_5830

3/4 overhead view.

IMG_5833

Overhead shot of the 6 carronades in the bow area.

IMG_5832

A little better photo of some of the carronades located towards the stern.

IMG_5831

The ship's boats are finished.  My research did not turn up any firm answer as to what color they were painted.  During the ship's first wartime cruise the boats had dark green hulls with red interiors.  At least some of the boats were replaced when the Constitution refitted in the Boston Navy Yard prior to her second cruise.  Primary source documents confirm that the ship had 8 boats when she departed for her second wartime cruise under Commodore William Bainbridge.  Unfortunately the kit only supplies 7 boats and some those are likely the incorrect types; for example the 23 foot cutters that are supplied by the kit had been replaced by 23 foot whale boats when the ship sailed under Bainbridge.  Scratch building boats would have been a massive undertaking and I did not want to buy any more aftermarket stuff, so I went with the boats provided by the kit. 

As I could not find any firm information as to what color the boats were painted during the Constitution's second cruise I decided to paint them the same colors the boats were during the ship's first cruise.  Below are the results!

The boats are ready for painting. You can see that the smallest boat does not have any scratch building done to it; it will be stowed upside down and I opted not to do extra work that would not be seen.

IMG_5835

All painted and touched up where required.

IMG_5836 IMG_5837

The four boats that were stored amidships have been set in place.  I will glue them down in the order that makes securing them easiest.  The kit instructions have the boats secured by simply tying off a line on an eyebolt at deck level, throwing the line over the boat and securing it on the eyebolt on the opposite side.   Actually, the securing lines were somewhat more complex than that and I am going to try to replicate them - try being the operative word here.  The boats certainly add a splash of color to the spar deck!

IMG_5838

Edited by Greif8

This is stunning work and inspiring me to get mine out!  A lot of GREAT work here, Ernie.

LSP_Ron I would love to see the ratline information.

14 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Your doing a really nice job here.  If you want to attempt making your own ratlines I can send you info on how these are done.