Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

Good to see you back on the case Denis…..bit of a oversight with the MGs, though it’s easily done - as we say sometimes you  “can’t see the wood for the trees”, ie so much concentration on the details that you miss the bigger picture! 

Hi Max, yes, but I'm getting a bit fed up with my repeated mistakes.
At first it's fun, but now I just want to slap myself in the face. :BANGHEAD2:
Especially as it's taking me a long time to recover from my mistakes.
An evil for a good, I ordered this and it's really superb:

master-model-am-32-061-messerschmitt-bf-

And I took the opportunity to redo a few details on the 3 wheels of the Reskit kit:

zfd8.jpg

Hi Denis, looking quite good. Just a possible point of interest, the red lines on the gear legs

are to indicate whether or not the parts have twisted out of alignment and so should transverse

the sections. They weren't always exactly the same length or position.

ZrSxRLY.jpg

hth

Hi Mike.
Yes I did see that detail but unfortunately I don't have any decals that are the right size. 
I used the decals that indicate the engine cowl lock and they are, as you can see, just a little too small...
I tried to paint this thin line with masks and airbrush and the result wasn't pretty...
Can I invoke artistic license? :ph34r:
Or maybe I'll try to butt 2 decals together... but with my 2 left hands, well, it's not easy!

Today something crazy happened to me!
Two days ago I painted a coat of Mig lucky varnish glossy all over my Bf 109 so I could put the decals on.
My 109 is painted with MRP and the Mig lucky varnish glossy is an acrylic that can be thinned with IPA.
Can you see the problems coming?  
So this morning, I start applying some decals.
I take a Q-Tip with a little water to remove the residues of Mr Mark setter and then I see a strange thing: rubbing gently I see a thin film of gloss varnish coming off my model...
I do the same thing under the plane, rubbing a little harder, and then all the varnish comes off under my Q-Tip! 
A leper's plane!
I took a cotton cloth and ran warm water over the wings, rubbing gently, and all the shiny Mig varnish came off the model...
Incredible!
I've deduced that there's an incompatibility between MRP paint and acrylic varnish because I can't think of any other reason.

Mig Lucky varnish: I'm extremely lucky with this varnish!

I've just ordered the MRP gloss varnish to continue with my 109.

Has this kind of joke ever happened to you, or is it my house that's built on an ancient Inca cemetery?

v2jo.jpg

50d4.jpg

2uz5.jpg

Edited by Furie

I managed to remove 80% of the acrylic varnish by rubbing with a cloth and water.
I tested it on a garbage model with methylated spirits and IPA, but it's all gone: the varnish and the paint...

I've tried micromesh 6000 but it damages the paint.

Can anyone recommend a method or product to remove the remaining varnish without damaging the MRP paint underneath?

Can you help me?

:(

Edited by Furie

I can’t help with your specific problem Denis, sorry, other than to always advise great caution when applying unknown applications because you can never be certain about compatibility. For that very reason I try to stick to one brand, yes MRP, or try unknown things on a paint mule. 

Hey Denis,  regarding the red stripe, see if you have any kits in your stash that have any red decal you won't be using and cut strips from that, or, find any decal you won't be needing and paint it red, then cut your strips.

Try removing the remaining gloss like before, with warm water but add some dish soap.

If you're brave enuff, you could try nail polish remover, but do small areas and be quick.

Good luck.

Edited by MikeMaben

Thanks Mike for the tips.
Yes, I'll try dish soap too.
And I haven't tried white spirit, I don't think it damages MRP lacquer paints.
When I think that I've tried this varnish on MRP paint and didn't realize that it wouldn't stick to it...

39 minutes ago, mozart said:

1 March you started this model Denis, and goodness what a learning curve it’s been for you on just about every aspect of modelling! Time to get it over the line I reckon! B)

Yes, I think I've explored a few too many aspects in the construction of the models, some of which I'd rather not have known about....
And it's hard to reach the finish line when you're racing against yourself...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Furie

46 minutes ago, Furie said:

And it's hard to reach the finish line when you're racing against yourself...

My fav Bob Dylan’s quote: Ain’t running any race

A cardinal rule: only use ONE finish ( paint, varnish, thinner,…) on a model. If you use aqueous acrylics, stick with aqueous. If you use lacquer, stick with lacquer. I never have any mishap since I follow it.

I only mix types of finish when I’m feeling adventurous :innocent: or impatient (when I don’t have the right product at hand and I cannot wait ).
The Alclad matt varnish on my MRP-painted RF-101 Voodoo is still tacky 5 years on :BANGHEAD2:. That would explain the hate I’ve grown for Alclad and MRP products. :PThank 

53 minutes ago, quang said:

A cardinal rule: only use ONE finish ( paint, varnish, thinner,…) on a model. If you use aqueous acrylics, stick with aqueous. If you use lacquer, stick with lacquer. I never have any mishap since I follow it.

From now on, this will be my one and only course of action.
In my naivety, I thought that you could use any type of varnish once the paint had dried.
Big mistake...