Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

Thanks for your message scvrobeson, but I'm not familiar with the Micro-Meshing technique.
I imagine that the paint needs to be lightly sanded, right?
With what grit of sandpaper?
Could you please tell me what equipment I need?

Bonjour!

The mottling you have achieved is very convincing, comparing with the photo of the original aircraft.

During the Battle of Britain, Bf109 E aircraft if JG2 had their RLM65 sides mottled with dark green with a sponge and displayed a surface finish very similar to your aircraft.

Perhaps a light application of paint imitating that effect would improve even more your model.

Alain

Hi Alain, and thanks for your advice.
For the moment, I'm not touching anything until I'm sure of the technique to use.
I admit I like it as it is, but I wouldn't mind a technique to improve it if need be. ;)

35 minutes ago, Furie said:

Hi Alain, and thanks for your advice.
For the moment, I'm not touching anything until I'm sure of the technique to use.
I admit I like it as it is, but I wouldn't mind a technique to improve it if need be. ;)

Definitely good thing to let it rest a bit, and eventually come back if needed.

Alain

4 hours ago, Furie said:

Thanks for your message scvrobeson, but I'm not familiar with the Micro-Meshing technique.
I imagine that the paint needs to be lightly sanded, right?
With what grit of sandpaper?
Could you please tell me what equipment I need?

Micro-Mesh is a group of very fine grit sandpapers that can be used to smooth things without removing paint.  I think the 6,000 or 8,000 grit sandpaper should soften the edges without removing it

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Mesh-Sanding-Introductory-Woodworkers/dp/B000H6HIK2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=micro+mesh&qid=1688267203&sr=8-6

Matt 

Hey Denis,  #3 definitely, Matt's suggestion of a micro mesh (sponge backed is best) or very fine grit sandpaper,

used carefully on the darker areas is a good one. Another route would be to repaint the yellow and use the mask to

apply the dots by hand like Q suggested. As I'm sure you know the dots were applied by hand with small brushes,

and it appears they R on the heat shields as well. Looks like you've got things well in hand.

@scvrobeson

@MikeMaben

@quang

Oh yes, I have a set of micromesh sponges.
I'll give it a try with 6000/8000 to see how it goes.
But one thing's for sure, I wouldn't repaint the hood yellow to remove the spots!

Because it seems to me (but I don't know the truth) that these brush strokes, when reduced to 1/32, give rather sharp spots, but also a little blurred!

That's why it's not easy to choose just one good method for making spots. 

:wacko:

Edited by Furie

12 minutes ago, Furie said:

That's why it's not easy to choose just one good method for making spots. 

It’s the reason why we have to try out different methods until we find one that suits. It’s called practice :P

It’s called practice

Practical experience is what I miss most: this is my first model in 23 years, and all the "sophisticated" methods I've used either didn't exist or hardly existed in 2000.
I'm modestly trying to make up for lost time, with varying degrees of success.

Is micromesh dry or water-based?

On 7/1/2023 at 9:28 AM, Furie said:

Hi Mike, it's true that you have to apply a white undercoat before painting yellow, I knew that, but I wanted to keep my BB'ing...
For the small RLM 70 spots on the engine hood, I'm going to use a stencil/mask sheet that's already been made, but first I'm going to try it out to see if it suits me.

lSabb71a825a0848fb8b0fa824c0944465z.jpg

you don't "have to" undercoat yellow with white; with certain paints it may help you get the job done with fewer coats - but there is nothing 'magic' about yellow

anyway...may I ask where you got those stencils? do you have a link please? they look awesome!!

paint job looking good btw

10 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

you don't "have to" undercoat yellow with white; with certain paints it may help you get the job done with fewer coats - but there is nothing 'magic' about yellow

anyway...may I ask where you got those stencils? do you have a link please? they look awesome!!

paint job looking good btw

Put that down to my English not being precise enough, I didn't mean "must", but that it's recommended to put white before yellow.
I'm sorry if I misspoke.

Mask link : Modèle de bricolage Vieillissement CamSolomon Fuite Spray Stbbles Modèle Ensemble pour L00004-L00011 Gravé Papier Imprimé Léopard Plusieurs Styles - AliExpress

Edited by Furie