1/48 Tamiya F-35A Kit...What a Big Box!

Juggernut

I just received my xmas present from my son and his girlfriend - the Tamiya 1/48 F-35A kit.  Wow, the box is huge!  I never suspected an aircraft that's a little over a foot in length to come in a box that's half again larger than the aircraft that's in it.  Must be all the goodies and hopped up detail parts that make up this plastic wonder. 

4 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I just received my xmas present from my son and his girlfriend - the Tamiya 1/48 F-35A kit.  Wow, the box is huge!  I never suspected an aircraft that's a little over a foot in length to come in a box that's half again larger than the aircraft that's in it.  Must be all the goodies and hopped up detail parts that make up this plastic wonder. 

It's the same size box that the Phantom is packed in.  There's a lot of plastic in there...

21 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

It's the same size box that the Phantom is packed in.  There's a lot of plastic in there...

It's actually the same size as  the 1/32 Corsair or P-51 kit boxes. The 1/32 jets and Mosquito boxes are quite a bit bigger. 

PXL_20221230_214546113-L.jpg

I like how they made the nose gear. You install it early on in the folded position. 

PXL_20221226_194749941-L.jpg

When the plane is nearly finished there is a small block you clip off and it unfolds.

PXL_20221226_194810493-L.jpg

1 hour ago, BloorwestSiR said:

It's actually the same size as  the 1/32 Corsair or P-51 kit boxes. The 1/32 jets and Mosquito boxes are quite a bit bigger. 

I was referring to the 1/48 F-4B box.  It's the same size as that one.  I figured that was a given since we were discussing a 1/48 F-35; sorry if that wasn't clear.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

28 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

I was referring to the 1/48 F-4B box.  It's the same size as that one.  I figured that was a given since we were discussing a 1/48 F-35; sorry if that wasn't clear.

That's makes sense. Guess I'm used to the 1/32 Phantoms being "the only" Tamiya ones.

Picking up 1/48 kits has been a new thing for me.  :D