Jump to content

1/32 Fleet Air Arm Sea Vampire F20


thierry laurent
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi folks,

 

here's one good picture I found. It looks the IP is very close to the windshield edge but not against it. Look at that picture giving a lot of interesting details:

 

meVAQgG.jpg

 

This also shows how the cockpit rail looks like. Some work will also be required there!

Having spent most of my life around US naval fighters that get bigger and bigger with each new one, I forget just how small many of the European navy jets were.  Vampires, Sea Hawks, Etendards are tiny!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Having spent most of my life around US naval fighters that get bigger and bigger with each new one, I forget just how small many of the European navy jets were.  Vampires, Sea Hawks, Etendards are tiny!  

 

Not really! If you look at jets from the same era the sizes of most of them were quite comparable: Sea Hawks and Vampires are not that different from Panthers, Scimitars from Demons and Buccaneers from Phantoms! Nonetheless, for some you are right. For instance, the Etendards are quite small as they are based on a sixties design and the French carriers of that era were smaller than the US supercarriers. THIS is actually the main reason.

The situation became fully different later (end of the sixties-beginning of the seventies). At that step European navies were not anymore considering new large carriers to be affordable and they consequently stopped the development of most naval fighters whereas increasing progressively the size of the NAVY planes stayed the norm in the US. This explains why for decades most European navies only relied on Harriers and ground-based planes, France being the only exception with Crusaders and Etendard generations before the Rafales. Had we developped a European Navy, we would possibly have spent the budget to get some supercarriers and the situation would have probably be comparable to the US one. However, this is just uchrony as Europe powers had lost their empires and had to cope with the Russian bear ground threat.. ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi folks!

 

I'm doing my best to keep the pace! Actually, the fact my wife is fully busy with her own projects is somewhat helping! :whistle:

 

The picture here above made me think about the sills area. If you look closely, you see that the plane had a kind of rectangular rail closed by two side-by-side rectangular strips. If you look hereunder, the kit parts have a pointy head at the rear and just give a plain strip, not a rail with a U section.

 

m4tZSRt.jpg

 

xkbT8uk.jpg

 

Not that bad but not really accurate. I will have to look at that later!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went back to the gun ammo chute holes. I do not like holes opened on a void when they are sufficiently large to see through them. Moreover, normally, if the guns are installed, you should not have fully opened holes but kind of closed funnels between the breeches and the fuselage skin. So, I built them with sections of Evergreen strips.

 

lgffMSE.jpg

 

I only used sections of Evergreen strips. Not really difficult but time consuming. Then I closed them to have that 'closed funnel' effect.

 

qMdX0GH.jpg

 

And here's the effect from the external side. Far better I think!

 

LSfCIQy.jpg

 

Last, as already explained, there is a risk that the rear bulkhead interferes with the front holes when the fuselage is assembled. I solved the issue easily: I simply cut the offending area! That way, I'm sure I won't have any problem later.

 

kfjnVoQ.jpg

 

As you can see I tried to cut the minimum area to keep a maximum of kit rigidity when assembled even if the bulkhead does not actually reach the lower fuselage. Another box is ticked out of my list.

 

By the way, I did not foresee it but I will possibly formalize a tweak list for that kit as I think I have already done the largest part of a draft for my own use!

 

I also had a second look at the external tanks. They look quite good but it is a pity the caps were not separate parts (possibly photoetched ones). Rebuilding them will be a PITA but as they are very visible, there is no other option. Moreover, as far as I know, I've never seen such a type of cap on any photoetched set...<_<

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another important remark: even if you want to add details in the cockpit, do NOT add the radio part D64 before painting the cockpit. Otherwise, it will be impossible to paint its upper face! I also found that the throttle part (D13) is actually incomplete as there are two large levers missing (one above and one under the body). A small one is also missing behind the lower one located on the left side but it is less visible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent work taking on this tricky assembly process!

The exterior canopy rail is of a triangle section. The kit part might be usable, by sanding the outside to get a sharp edge at top. The exact angle can be determined as it is following the angle of the windscreen side panels. The interior rail can be added from a strip of styrene, exactly the same height as the outside one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Excellent work taking on this tricky assembly process!

The exterior canopy rail is of a triangle section. The kit part might be usable, by sanding the outside to get a sharp edge at top. The exact angle can be determined as it is following the angle of the windscreen side panels. The interior rail can be added from a strip of styrene, exactly the same height as the outside one.

Thanks Alain. I guess you actually meant ' by sanding the inside', weren't you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Thanks Alain. I guess you actually meant ' by sanding the inside', weren't you?

I guess it depends on how the kit part is designed and I don’t have it in hand to be sure, but it looks like a part with a rectangular section. The actual railing is a rectangle triangle, with the 90’ angle on the lower inboard side. The hypotenuse is outside the aircraft.

Hope I’m being clear!

 

Alain

ps: probably easier to make a new one from scratch if you have an evergreen strip of correct height and width.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

I guess it depends on how the kit part is designed and I don’t have it in hand to be sure, but it looks like a part with a rectangular section. The actual railing is a rectangle triangle, with the 90’ angle on the lower inboard side. The hypotenuse is outside the aircraft.

Hope I’m being clear!

 

Alain

ps: probably easier to make a new one from scratch if you have an evergreen strip of correct height and width.

 

Ok, I understand what you mean. I have Tamiya rods with a triangular section. I will look at that closer. Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2022 at 4:41 PM, thierry laurent said:

Another important remark: even if you want to add details in the cockpit, do NOT add the radio part D64 before painting the cockpit. Otherwise, it will be impossible to paint its upper face! I also found that the throttle part (D13) is actually incomplete as there are two large levers missing (one above and one under the body). A small one is also missing behind the lower one located on the left side but it is less visible.

Something I posted before for someone asking for cockpit details, if you missed it:

 

1U0e72e.jpg

 

Alain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

 

Nothing fancy to show right now. I'm stuck for some days. I need now to end scratchbuilding the fuselage rear end before adding fragile parts on the cockpit sides. However, the main issue is the lack of any preserved production Sea Vampire airframe as I concluded that area was not fully identical on the prototype kept in Yeovilton. Moreover, I cannot rely either on pictures as there are quite few known pictures of such planes and the ones showing that area are very limited and there are very few close-up ones. And I did not find any useful TM view either! So, I'm waiting now for a book about the French Sea Venom ('Aquilon'). Hopefully I found it for an acceptable even if not that cheap price. I was lucky as that book is now asking for totally crazy prices. It looks it has quite good pictures of that area and I hope that with them as an inspiration, Sea Vampire prototype pictures and the rare pictures showing the production Sea Vampire fuselage tail I should be able to rebuild something that looks acceptable even if possibly not fully accurate! Wait and see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi again,

 

It looks I will now have to share my time between that build and the Tunnan one. For whatever reason, the Venom is even less well covered by printed references than the Vampire. The Venom Warpaint did not really help. So, I ordered two other books. They arrived on Friday.

 

fVrtYDC.jpg

 

They will be useful for the Venom kit I have and hopefully I got good pictures of the exhaust area.

 

8Kjo8ra.jpg

 

This will help! ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...