AIMS Spitfire PR1G using Revell Mk II kit

Pastor John

That is looking good, though PR Spitfires are not something that I have explored much at all, I just had a quick look though my Classic Warbirds Merlin PR Spitfires book and Spitfire The History and while not fully understanding the PR Spitfire designations from the photos and plans in them you look to be doing a fine job.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks again Rsanz - I double checked my clearest photos - you are correct in saying it is a normal screw but it does however have a slightly raised backing plate that often catches the light due to paint being removed and this plate is the same size as the rest of the fasteners and so it is best to leave on the part and someone can remove a little more if they want depending on their subject - thanks

J

Edited by Pastor John

4 hours ago, Pastor John said:

Thanks again Rsanz - I double checked my clearest photos - you are correct in saying it is a normal screw but it does however have a slightly raised backing plate that often catches the light due to paint being removed and this plate is the same size as the rest of the fasteners and so it is best to leave on the part and someone can remove a little more if they want depending on their subject - thanks

J

We'll, at least I tried. I'm sure it'll look great anyway. 

AIMS 1/32 Spitfire PR 1G conversion (using Revell Mk II kit) with Barracuda details update.
Hi everyone, just a little update from me - so much to do on this budget kit that I think if I see one more thing that need's correcting I will go completely mad! I understand a few things going wrong in an attempt to bring out a MK II and a Mk IX but the spinner is neither a MK II or a MK I and why put the rudder hinge in completely the wrong place??? The list is endless but anyway I have changed the position of the radiator inspection hatch on the Barracuda part and the panel line at the back end of the oil cooler that now sits in the correct place. I have also filled the rudder hinges and removed the corresponding tabs from the fin and removed also the hinge tabs from the horizontal stabilizers. I also added the large and small lightening holes to the filled ends of the stabilizers and all but removed all trace of the ribs on the elevators. The same work was carried out on the rudder but then the remaining detail had the thinnest stretched sprue chopped up and added as these ribs are quite sharp and much more noticeable than on the elevators. The rudder has had a thick layer of primer added and latter i will be able to sand down a bit here and there. Thanks. J
20220703-144142.jpg20220703-145537.jpg20220703-182326.jpg

On 7/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, Pastor John said:
AIMS 1/32 Spitfire PR 1G conversion (using Revell Mk II kit) with Barracuda details update.
Very glad I held off putting the upper cowl into production as I spotted that the forward propeller pitch oil filler hatch detail and location provided on the Revell kit is perhaps wrong - it is certainly wrong for a Merlin 45 installation but I have not been able to confirm the location and style for a Merlin XII installation - please sing out if you know? Thanks. I have changed my own cast as my PR1G has a Merlin 45 but cannot go ahead with production of the part until I know for sure the situation for the Merlin XII used with the Spitfire Mk II. Please also note that Revell have placed 4 fasteners aft of the exhausts as per the Mk IX - the centre one needs removed and a new one added between the two remaining to be correct. Thanks, J
20220701-130043.jpg20220701-130002.jpg

Hi John,

The access panel on the front of the top cowling is to gain access to the 

coolant headed tank so it can be refilled and topped up.

Thanks  - my concern is as I wrote - not for the hatches purpose but for its position and style when a Merlin XII is fitted. As both the position and design of the hatch differ with the Merlin III and then again with the Merlin 45 and so it would be good to know one way or another so I can change the master of my product rather than go into production with a hatch only suitable for the Merlin 45 and people like me how are making a PR 1G for the kit. I hope that explains things.

37 minutes ago, Pastor John said:

Thanks  - my concern is as I wrote - not for the hatches purpose but for its position and style when a Merlin XII is fitted. As both the position and design of the hatch differ with the Merlin III and then again with the Merlin 45 and so it would be good to know one way or another so I can change the master of my product rather than go into production with a hatch only suitable for the Merlin 45 and people like me how are making a PR 1G for the kit. I hope that explains things.

To my eye the glycol hatch position on all Mk.II and Mk.Va/B/C is lower than the Mk.Ia and of a slightly different design to the Mk.Ia. 

Guys I have a clear photo of the hatch position and design on a Mk V, I have a clear photo of its position and style on a Mk I - does anyone have a clear view of it on a Mk II that they can share with me? It would be great to see for myself. Thanks

J

Hi everyone I found a crystal clear photo of the Bof B memorial flight's P7350 and as Rsanz said the hatch is identical to the Mk V. Obviously with it being a restored bird with an odd spinner it is not the best empirical data as the cowl could have been changed but it is the best I have to go on so far. It also appears to have the wrap around panel line at the first exhaust stub whereas the best wartime photo I can find does not show this - I see them on some Mk Vs and not on others - design change or different factory????? Or on all Merlin I/II/V Spits but on most filled over????? I am not sure what is best - to have it and the modeller deletes it if not wanted as Eduard have done with their 1/48 Mk V kits or delete it on my master and modeller adds it if wanting it????????? I have deleted it on my PR 1G as the clearest photos offer no suggestion of it either because it is not there or filled over? Help me out if you can thanks

gettyimages-154416506-612x612.jpgScreenshot-2022-07-04-082924.jpg

Edited by Pastor John