1:350 USS Hornet (Trumpeter)

LSP_K2

12 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Is that the Very Fire Kit? I bought the 1/700 version as I wasn't prepared to pay nearly $490au for the kit and detail set. The 700th version is very nice. Veryfire are a relatively new company and their ship kits are very good. I also built the H-class German battleship to do as the Grosser Kurfurst from WOWSL and its very nearly done, but I screwed up on the weathering and some things have broken off into god knows where. The Montana is a cool looking ship though right?

Yes, VFK. And yes, the Montana class would have been splendid looking ships.

This platform gizmo, also mounted on the stern, is not without its problems. The bottom had several pin marks that had to be dealt with.

Q8SbaE.jpg

And the top has three small cable reels or whatever, with the connecting points to the runners being located smack in the middle of the reels, and are going to require some very special attention to get cleaned up right, as it's a very narrow space.

KuhuaP.jpg

QWCvjT.jpg

In keeping with my passion for the Lexington class carriers, I just recently received this book. As is typical with the series, it's quite excellent. Now I'm anxiously waiting for Vol. 2 to be released.

GFnQ3g.jpg

Hey, Kev.  I’ve often wondered about the wood decks on these older boats.  Do you know what kind of wood was used, how thick the planks were and if they were treated with something to increase their longevity?  They had to take a beating every day.

6 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Hey, Kev.  I’ve often wondered about the wood decks on these older boats.  Do you know what kind of wood was used, how thick the planks were and if they were treated with something to increase their longevity?  They had to take a beating every day.

I assume Teak, roughly 2x6 or possibly 2x8, but I doubt they were treated in any way.

19 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I assume Teak, roughly 2x6 or possibly 2x8, but I doubt they were treated in any way.

On 4/18/2022 at 7:24 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Cant remember the source or where I read it, but I seem to recall it being Douglas Fir.  You can do searches of the various shipyards up in the Pacific Northwest as they repaired decks during the war. 

If you can believe all you read, it looks like it was a bit of both depending on when - teak, then fir once the teak supply became unavailable.  I’d have sworn it was good old American oak just for durability’s sake but that apparently would have been whoppingly heavy.

Last night  I discovered an interesting (and sad) fact about the Hornet. During the battle of Midway, a damaged Wildcat (from the Enterprise) was forced to land on the Hornet. When it did, it took a wild hop and the 50's commenced firing, killing five of the Hornet crew members and injuring several others.

SRl39Y.jpg

It's starting to look like the majority of my spending money will be going toward paints for this baby. This Tamiya grey looks like it may be ideal for the upper hull, but the blue is in need of "adjustment", assuming I actually use it at all. No matter, as the paints will undoubtedly come in handy at some later time. The spatula set was just thrown into the cart as ballast.

xL9p8T.jpg

I'm following this with interest, Kevin.  You don't see many ship builds here and I'm glad to see you're tackling this beauty.  What you've done so far is great, but I gotta tell ya, you have a long road ahead! But, it's worth it, believe me.  I'll be a thing of beauty when it's done.  And yes, you're going to spend a lot of money on this beast, not just in paint, but other incidentals as well.  Keep posting and most of all - have fun!

Larry

On 4/21/2022 at 7:15 AM, Ryan said:

Panzer in the background is saying "hey what about me?".

:D

It's getting some love too, just nothing that's update worthy.