Special Hobby Ki-27 Nate?

Bill M.

Now that I have a Special Hobbies Ki-27 Nate on the way (to provide a worthy antagonist for my GWH AVG Tomahawk), I’m wondering what peoples’ experiences are with this kit. Any advice one way or another? There wasn’t a lot of solid information on the net. Seems a simple kit without an over abundance of resin and photo etch. Will probably build it as a 77th Sendai Nate as opposed the AVG in Burma in early 1942.

Bill

I built it last month, really easy and quick build and looks good once complete - I finished mine in the green and brown scheme. Approach it like a normal short run kit and you'll be fine. There was not a lot to see in the cockpit once closed up, if I did one again I'd not be too worried about the detail of things like the guns as you can't see any of it. I was going to strengthen the wheels to wing joint with a metal rod but used CA glue on the joint and it's perfect. Decals went on fine, I did think about using masks however I'm pleased I used the kit decals. Once on, weathered and given a light coat of matt overall the effect looks good. 

Enjoy the build

neil

I built one a while ago, and you do need to treat it like a short-run kit. For mine, I ended up removing the cockpit floor forward of the control column just to get the fuselage halves to close up - fortunately, you can't see anything even with the open canopy and the gun inspection windows opened up, so if I were you I wouldn't bother with the guns etc.

2020-11-29-17-54-59.jpg

I built one many years ago (2011) and it was my first real foray into Japanese subjects, luckily Nick Millman chipped in with some great advice, not the greatest of builds but it was a real learning curve for me. Might be some usefull info for you in this thread.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234908718-special-hobby-nakajima-ki-27-nate/

Cheers

Dennis

6 hours ago, quang said:

Great idea, Bill.

Nevertheless pitting the state-of-the-art 2022 GWH P-40 against the short-run 2010 Special Hobby Ki-27, I’d say you’re in for a BIG surprise! ;)
Happy modelling,

Quang

Haha! Yes to that! I have no illusions about the Special Hobby Ki-27 being up to the quality of the GWH P-40. I just thought it would look good displayed alongside an AVG P-40.

Bill M.

5 hours ago, dennismcc said:

I built one many years ago (2011) and it was my first real foray into Japanese subjects, luckily Nick Millman chipped in with some great advice, not the greatest of builds but it was a real learning curve for me. Might be some usefull info for you in this thread.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234908718-special-hobby-nakajima-ki-27-nate/

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis and others. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Most helpful!

Bill M.

24 minutes ago, Bill M. said:

I have no illusions about the Special Hobby Ki-27 being up to the quality of the GWH P-40.

I don’t know about the others but I botched their F-80, then their Yak-3. I gave away my half-finished X-15. A few weeks ago, I tried to dry-fit their Curtiss Hawk 75 before adding the details when I discovered that the nose is 5mm too short. Now I’m currently working on their A4M2 ‘Claude over China’.

Masochist? Moi?

1 hour ago, quang said:

I don’t know about the others but I botched their F-80, then their Yak-3. I gave away my half-finished X-15. A few weeks ago, I tried to dry-fit their Curtiss Hawk 75 before adding the details when I discovered that the nose is 5mm too short. Now I’m currently working on their A4M2 ‘Claude over China’.

Masochist? Moi?

I've built 10 of their kits, they need to be treated like old fashion modelling but come out well and look great. And the subjects are unique in 1/32 scale which I like. For me I just need to reset my brain into this will need some work mode and accept the joys and pitfalls of each kit as I progress. As I mentioned earlier, the Ki-27 was an easy build I thought. My biggest struggle was their Tempest MkII but got that finished in the end after about 18 months.