Any model kits of Boeing B17G (actual earliest version)

frothingillbellows

42-31070.jpgdame2.jpg

The  Boeing B17G Early by HKM is not the earliest version. Are there any other kits available of the earliest version, the model without the cheek guns? I would like to build one preferably in large scale as I have an original patched A2 crew jacket of the one pictured above and would like to build it. Thanks very much.

Edited by frothingillbellows

7 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

In 1/32?  You realize that HK is *the* only 1/32 B-17, right?  The presence or absence of cheek guns doesn’t mean “early” or “late”.  Boeing didn’t start putting cheek guns on B-17s built in Seattle until very late in the game.  They were added at the modification centers or in-theatre.

Just to clarify. The HKM early with the cheek guns is 1/48. I’m just trying to find a suitable model. This particular plane didn’t have the modifications done.

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Any model kits of Boeing B17G (actual earliest version)
5 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The solution is to try getting the nose sprues from the B-17F and start from that with parts from the G nose. Look on eBay.

Thanks that might be a way to go. Either way removing the flared larger cheek gun window might be tricky but adding a nose turret to an F nose could be less of a problem. 

8 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

HK is it.  There is no other.  You could remove the cheek guns and build in the original window arrangement.  If it’s not HK, you’re not doing it in 1/32.

I love definitive statements...

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=684

B-17F.jpg

:D

Having said that unless you are a dedicated, old-school modeller, you are right!

Richard

If 1/32nd is the target scale, as well as a new nose (with the earlier windows) you will also need to un-stagger the waist windows. You could either use the rear fuselage from the F-kit or mod the G-kit yourself. Then you'll need to know if it had the three-pane windows fitted or retained the F-style sliding hatches. If you use the G-kit you'll need to source the earlier 'stinger' tail turret, too. In short, to do the job properly you'll need to source various parts from both the F and the G kits - expensive. 

If it were me, I'd probably start with the F-kit as a base and try to source a chin turret, clear nose and top turret. The early Gs had a lot more in common with the F-model that the later G.

Tom

If indeed you are going to be building Dame Satan II, she was a B-17G-1-BO, which, as Tom states, makes her have much more in common with the F than the G. Unstaggered waist, stinger turret, and open waist gun positions. In most respects, An F (sans the large cheek gun windows) with a chin turret.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

2 hours ago, B-17 said:

The nose plexiglass shape is another consideration. B-17Gs seemed to have 2 different shapes that were sometimes swapped by maintenance crews. The HK B-17G only includes the shallow plexiglass.

LTYA08.jpg

There were actually three types of nose blister used on the 17G; the two you show above and one other that I refer to as the "very late" style that is much more rounded across the top. 

HeVApBR.png

ZJvX7ff.png

t8VnAb8.png

Edited by Juggernut

15 hours ago, frothingillbellows said:

Just to clarify. The HKM early with the cheek guns is 1/48. I’m just trying to find a suitable model. This particular plane didn’t have the modifications done.

Are you working in 1/32 or 1/48?  IF you're working in 1/32, then this post belongs in this forum; if not, it belongs in the General Discussion forum as it's not LSP related.  In 1/32 you have two choices, neither of which will get you anywhere near a B-17G-1-BO.  You'll need both kits or someone who's willing to part with the standard tail turret and the unmodified nose of their B-17E/F kit.  Additionally, you could purchase the needed sprues from Ebay.  You're still going to need to source that F style nose blister, which does not exist in any 1/32 B-17 kit that I'm aware of, even the vacuform kits. 

If you're working in 1/48, you're going to have issues finding an unmodified nose as all the 1/48 scale kits have modified cheek gun mounts, B-17F and G.  There is no B-17E that I'm aware of in 1/48 unless it's a very limited run vacuform kit or something of the like.

In short, you'll probably need to partially scratchbuild the nose you're looking for.

Edited by Juggernut