'Que sera sera' the first plane to land at the South Pole. Navy R4D-5L.

kkarlsen

Ok so Cameron (my son) and I went down armed with an iPhone 13, Mac laptop and a bunch of scanning and CAD programmes and did some initial scans for you.

As luck would have it we were discussing this earlier in the week and Alex mentioned you had been in touch with us so I offered to look after this info for you. However an added benefit was that the big repair in the side of our FB-VI Mosquito has been mostly done and the door and internal framework added etc.  The door had become part of the structural integrity and we didnt want to remove it until an outer ply skin had been formed and cut.  Then the door can be removed and this area finished up.  Anyway I digress.  But I am mentioning it as some readers also might find it interesting what can be achieved with a new iPhone.

Here are the Mossie scans (these have yet to be converted to various CAD files and then 'flattened out' to get some true shapes

6Cn3jR.jpg

d61agE.jpg

Anyway...onto the LC-47

This was more challenging as the scanner didnt like scanning at various heights and got confused with reflections off the windscreen.  I was stood 20 feet up on the top of a ladder trying to capture all angles for you.  Anyway, it turns out we had to do it in top and bottom sections and we are going to stitch them all together.  here is where we got

OnZwe4.jpg

oUGAiL.jpg

N9u0Ip.jpg

Anyway these are just a couple of screen shots to show you what we got up to today for you.  We have about 15 scan sessions loaded onto the laptop and we are pretty sure we can get an accurate shape and dimensions for you.  If not we will go back and do some more.

Anyway, I will come back after going through them all with Cameron and see what we have.  It was a bit of a learning curve today but we are confident after uploading them onto the computer and converting into CAD files we can do this for you.  Maybe we can even select the Stl file for a laugh and see if we can print a 1/32 nose??  Anyway, will be in touch soon directly by email but I thought it might be of interest to some

Cheers Anthony

9 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

Wow that's some sci-fi stuff right there!

I can't believe you are able to do this Anthony & Cameron. wonderful!

Cheers: Kent

Glad you guys like it.

There is still a bit of work in it, as well as safety issues being balanced on top of a ladder....Lol

Pleased to help on this 'cool' (pun intended) project.  I have had so much help from LSP'ers over the years that I do what I can to 'pay it forward'.  I think that's how our community should (and does) work.  Just a way of saying thanks for the years of help I have received

Cheers Anthony

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Ok so Cameron (my son) and I went down armed with an iPhone 13, Mac laptop and a bunch of scanning and CAD programmes and did some initial scans for you.

As you do :blink: That's incredible! I had no idea such hardware and software were available for private use, wow!