Sopwith Camel USAS- 1/32 WnW

scvrobeson

Hey Matt, that is absolutely fantastic so far, you really have nailed the deepening of shadows and bringing out highlights on the fabric and leather.

This is a great reference for painting faces

https://figurementors.com/tutorial/step-by-step-painting-of-a-54mm-saxon-warrior/

ignore that it is a Saxon warrior and just focus on the way he builds up the facial features. And, if it all goes wrong, just redo. There is nothing that is not fixable when it comes to painting faces. 

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul.  I'm following a similar step-by-step, it's mostly the eyes that I'm really struggling with.  The rest of the face looks good enough, but the eyes and hair are really giving me issues. I might have to strip the paint and redo it if I'm not satisfied.

Matt 

2 hours ago, europapete said:

That jacket is really well done Matt, good job. Check the shoulders, looks to be some visible join lines. 

Thanks. The body was done in one piece, I think those are supposed to be seams on the jacket. I'll check over them though before continuing.

Matt 

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Just catching up with your progress Matt, simply stunning work particularly on the cockpit, keep up the great work. 

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy. Glad you like the work on it so far.

Matt

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Matt ,

EXQUISITE  Workmanship  on the cockpit , Engine { :wub: }

And the seat  etc..

:wow:  :clap2:

SUPERB detailing.

Love the "headless"pilot figure's uniform... I think you

have gotten the creases and shadow on his jacket and pants    to a tee..

:goodjob:

:thumbsup:

Thank you as always for your kind comments. Always so cheerful and positive.

Luckily the detail on the figure was very high, so all I had to do was paint it. Much easier than a completely blank figure.

Matt 

2 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Thanks Paul.  I'm following a similar step-by-step, it's mostly the eyes that I'm really struggling with.  The rest of the face looks good enough, but the eyes and hair are really giving me issues. I might have to strip the paint and redo it if I'm not satisfied.

Matt 

Hi Matt, 

I’ve seen a few people say that in 1/32 scale not to paint eyes at all but instead go for shadows. When I used to paint eyes all of my guys looked scared out of their wits (my poor technique) so I abandoned that and went to a shadow method. If you are determined to paint eyes however using a pin rather than a brush may help. 

Best regards,

Paul

Your figure is looking great Matt.  I think you did an excellent job laying in the highlights and shadows, keeping the contrasts stark.  While they may look a bit overdone in macro photography the contrasts look just right when viewed at normal viewing distance.  When I started figure painting I was far too conservative with the transitions between highlights and shadows and they did not standout very well.  The layering techniques takes some practice to paint multilayer shades and tones with acrylic paints; even using a wet palette they dry pretty fast during application.  I always add a drop or two of retarder to slow the drying process down and find it helps when applying really thin coats.

Do you plan to use acrylics or oils to paint the flesh tones?

Ernest

14 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Do you plan to use acrylics or oils to paint the flesh tones?

Ernest

Thanks for the kind words. It's all been Vallejo acrylics so far, as is the face. Been adding their glaze medium to everything, which operates as a bit of a retarder, along with the wet palette.

Matt 

I believe that my pilot figure is done. Pretty much done exclusively with Vallejo acrylics, using a few tutorials I watched online.  This is my first true figure, please let me know how I can approve.  I know I need to improve on the face, but an attempt was made at it.  Let me know what you think.  Not sure why the photo of the boots came out so poor, it looks much better in real life.

20210713_142040-X2.jpg

20210713_142100-X2.jpg

20210713_142244-X2.jpg

20210713_142235-XL.jpg

20210713_142416-XL.jpg

Matt 

Your figure painting looks great Matt,

However, from what I see, the facial features are not cast as nicely as the rest of the figure. That has nothing to do with the way you painted it. Ya work with what ya have, right?

Cheers,

Wolf

Looking good.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:20 AM, Archimedes said:

I’ve seen a few people say that in 1/32 scale not to paint eyes at all but instead go for shadows. ...

I'm one of them: I learned that from a very experienced figure guy at my local IPMS club.  He started by saying, "Look at that chap over there [other side of the rather large room] - can you see the details of his eyes?"

Edited by MikeC

2 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Your figure painting looks great Matt,

However, from what I see, the facial features are not cast as nicely as the rest of the figure. That has nothing to do with the way you painted it. Ya work with what ya have, right?

Cheers,

Wolf

Yes, the head was definitely a step down in quality. Might just be a bad casting, but I don't want to plunk down another $25 for another copy.  CMK I think does some basic heads, I might buy one of those to replace the Black Dog one.

Matt 

42 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Looking good.

I'm one of them: I learned that from a very experienced figure guy at my local IPMS club.  He started by saying, "Look at that chap over there [other side of the rather large room] - can you see the details of his eyes?"

That's really smart. I need to redo the area around the eyes anyway, I will probably just do it with shadows instead.

Matt