Boeing 777 engine failure-no casualties

On 2/22/2021 at 10:32 AM, MikeMaben said:

Every 6 months (here in the U.S. , don't know about other countries).

Yeah the news 'reporters' are downright laughable in their ignorance

of the subject and simple things like physics.

nGBNjRa.jpg

its not that they don't understand, its just that they don't care over and above the sensationalism! 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:00 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Probably only about 1/2 to 2/3 full for DEN-HNL (2924 nm).  That's barely a touch and go for a 777-200ER.  But in any event, pretty scary, and a good job by the crew.  Makes you realize how strong those engine/pylon attach bolts are, the way that thing was oscillating.  

Which is why the bolts are not cheap. I remember being amazed in the late 80s when I worked on the Herc that each bolt was $10,000. You needed four to attach the engine to the Herc. In those days that was equal to four fully loaded cars.

Aviation hardware in general is expensive.  This is due to the fact that each piece of hardware has to have an FAA (or other country’s aviation authority) Parts Made for Aircraft (PMA) certification.  The manufacturing methods of some of the hardware also adds to the cost. Aircraft tension bolt threads are not cut into the blank, they’re rolled into it, adding to the cost.  

Special bolts such as those that attach engines, wings, etc. are usually made by the airframe manufacturer and must also be certified (PMA).

In general, aviation ain’t cheap.  An old pilot friend told me once, “If it flies, floats, or f$@&ks, it’s cheaper to rent.”  If you’re a cheapskate, stay away from aircraft, the cost will give you a stroke.

Edited by Juggernut