Lancaster Canopy

Don't know if this is any help, it's the internal framing of "Just Jane". She was a very late-war Lanc, never saw active service but was scheduled for "Tiger Force" in the Far East, finally bought by the French for air/sea rescue duties.

PYAXai.jpg

Edited by mozart

Hi Max

thats a good photo showing the timber frame aft of the nav's position . . .  also the larger dome at the rear of the canopy which also came late in the war apparently to house the larger Sextant apparatus used by navigators . . .

Ian 

Edited by Bomber Command nut

10 minutes ago, Bomber Command nut said:

Hi Max

thats a good photo showing the timber frame aft of the nav's position . . .  also the larger dome at the rear of the canopy which also came late in the war apparently to house the larger Sexton apparatus used by navigators . . .

Ian 

Cheers Ian. I’m surprised that sextants were still considered as operational equipment late on, I thought it would have been superseded by Gee, Oboe, Loran etc etc.  Sticking plasters maybe, assuming the navigators were still trained to use them! 

6 minutes ago, mozart said:

Cheers Ian. I’m surprised that sextants were still considered as operational equipment late on, I thought it would have been superseded by Gee, Oboe, Loran etc etc.  Sticking plasters maybe, assuming the navigators were still trained to use them! 

When you've had an ack-ack shell through your instruments, the stars still work!

Richard

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

When you've had an ack-ack shell through your instruments, the stars still work!

Richard

MORE: Casual googling brought up this document, including this Air Commodore Bill Tyack:

I started my navigation career some 30 years ago in Shackleton maritime patrol aircraft. In those days, the Shackleton’s radio navigation systems, such as ADF, CONSOL and LORAN and the Doppler navigator, were not totally reliable for long range navigation; it was often very difficult or even impossible to detect the signals in noise and the coverage was by no means global. Once we were out of radar range of land – which was most of the time on Shackleton sorties – the only navigation aids which were totally dependable were watch, compass, drift sight and hand-held sextant

It mentions sextants on the Vee bombers and Canberra too

Edited by RLWP

1 hour ago, mozart said:

They were still being taught (in the RAF) to trainee navigators until well into the 70's! (it probably went into decline with the retirement of the Varsity and Hastings aircraft, but obviously, not the Shack!).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I should have checked my library!  This book was given to me by a friend who trained as a navigator and saw service on Hastings (you reminded me Derek) and was involved in the Berlin airlift.  He finished up as a Group Captain and Station Commander so did quite well for himself!

ITbBnf.jpg

q4cbLq.jpg

oHaeZa.jpg

6jrArm.jpg

All way too complicated for my poor brain!! 

Edited by mozart