Something Different.......The Lament Configuation

Out2gtcha

Thanks gents...............

Have you ever gotten to one of THE last steps on a build and thought to yourself:

"Nah, this will be perfectly fine, and wont be an issue at all and everything will turn out great."

This was one of those times for me................right before I put on the clear coat. I had an issue with enamel paint and a clear I put over a base for my Extra 330 many years ago. I didn't quite know for sure what the clear was, but it'll be just fine right? 

Wrong.

Well I did it to myself, by not double checking 100%  what the paint and  clear were. The paint and clears were rattle cans, and all the black said was "epoxy paint" and could be cleaned up with MS, so figured it enamel. Clear?  Not really sure but apparently it was lacquer.

I shot the first half of the configuration with the clear and this happened:

20210110_001307-X2.jpg

20210110_001312-X2.jpg

20210110_001320-X2.jpg

Sigh...............

Back to the drawing board on this one. Unfortunately the crackling of the paint is all down inside every deep crevice in all the nooks and crannies. Not sure how Im going to salvage it actually, but will put it down for awhile and mull it over. The bubbling of the paint prevents even putting the puzzle back together at this point, so I think Ill finish the F7F and come back to this one at some point.

Cheers,

• 9 months later...

Well, I was taking pictures of the Cobra and found the Lament Configuration setting still attached in its separate halves right after I had pooched the clear coat. :(

I figured since I had long written the project off, I decided to just remove it from its wooden dowels and assemble and take some pics of it as is. 

Plus, the wife always liked it (Halloween is her favorite time of the year) never did think it looked that bad (especially from afar) and now that its been almost a year I just figured what the hey.

Its not the bad if you don't stare too close at it.............and its kinda creepy anyway, especially if you've seen the movies! 

IMG_20211016_220701699-X3.jpg

IMG_20211016_220723596-X3.jpg

IMG_20211016_220732477_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20211016_220859966_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20211016_221021281-X3.jpg

IMG_20211016_221042553-X3.jpg

IMG_20211016_220826910-X3.jpg

IMG_20211016_220652006-X3.jpg

Happy Halloween!     Muuuuuuuuuaaaaaahahahahaha!!! 

• 1 year later...

Every painted model is a good model :whistle:

You did it, it looks fine, and to be honest: Just be grateful that the only backlash to you was some crackling paint! Could have been much worser! The mouth of Hell opening in your home! Growing a humpback, hooves and horns!

Bonus: Now YOU are able to scaare the kids at Halloween: "Stay back or I will turn the Lament cube onto you!!!" -insert evil laugh here- :punk:

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...