1/16 Panzer 38(t)—>Marder IIIh with PAK40

Rick Griewski

5 hours ago, GDW said:

Ok Rick, the first link I thought you should see went AWOL but check this out, might be worth a look...

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I have a different kit on order.  But I will indeed look into this one too.  Maybe the A second PAK40 will be displayed next to the Marder. 

Bellona did a series of booklets back in the 70s. My dad was heavily into tank models and bought  just about all of them. I had some  and scanned  them, the Marder was a favorite of mine. So I  know I have that one. I'll have to dig for it but I'll send them to you when I do. On another PC and it's time to go to work almost.

My PAK 40 is due for Christmas.  The other kits have shown up on the DAKRCTANK web site.  most are pre-order

https://dakrctank.com/shop/category/vandra/at-aa-guns/

https://dakrctank.com/announcements/vandramodel-preorder/

Edited by Rick Griewski
Added example of status for preorders

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2020 at 7:59 PM, Rick Griewski said:

Vandramodels has a nice looking resin PAK 40 kit.  I just ordered one with some ammunition.  We will see how it looks; two weeks or so. 

Two weeks!   What a baby in the woods I am.  The kit should arrive Saturday  after a long cluster of delaying factors.  The big one it seems was ... oh never mind. Cottage industry is always off the wall. 

I will post some pictures with a bit of analysis. 

Edited by Rick Griewski
Changed delivery to Saturday; was Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

I pawed the PAK 40 gun kit right away (distraction from the Claude Trainer group build).  I separated the parts to be used in the Marder III build from essentially the gun carriage. The carriage pile was much bigger.

The Marder III componets:

pnqlCF2lj

The Carriage:

po0XQOmvj

This kit is not the same as the offering posted earlier in this thread.  Here is a photo of the Panda Models Panzer 38(t) kit with the PAK 40.  This is going to be a good looking "bubba".  I am only showing one set of the tracks.  I did finish two sets of the swine.  Much scratch building to come.  I will start a WiP starting April time frame

poRHZ94Mj

The big empty that will need to be filled up. The forward crew space with the transmission will be visible to a large extent.

poVVAcuQj

The PAK 40 kit very well cast. A few seams on the barrel and some rough spots here and there.  The gun barrel is cast around an aluminum tube.  This is done very well. The model is a bit simplistic overall.  The gun barrel should be mounted to a sliding cradle for example.  Some areas are "chunky"; too thick.  The kit IMHO needs much more detailing and a few corrections.  It will however serve very well as a starting point for this conversion.  I would buy it again.  If this conversion goes well then I may make a Marder III M.  The Panda kit is still around at a reasonable price.  I will see if Vandramodels will cast me only the parts useful for the Marder.  Then I can build the PAK 40 as an anti-tank gun.  It is a shame to have such a large set of leftovers.

• 1 year later...