Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

1 hour ago, Chek said:

That is some great painting on the hot end.

I just want to remind you that the vertical panels leading to the stab pivot surround were a type of stainless alloy (Inconel X nickel/chrome as I recall)

and remained a bright looking silver metallic colour. As can be seen inc Chuck's QF-4E jet nozzle photo

Thanks for pointing that out. It should be an easy fix.

Hi Albert,

Been a while, working abroad, but I have been looking every now and then. Great paintjob on the titanium part looks very good, Might want to copy that. The tail sure is nice to but I agree that the dark patches are overdone. I was looking on Jari's Flickr account and there was a picture of a VFMA 542 Phantom with only darker panel lines as far as I can tell. That picture will be my guideline anyway but if you use a lighter colour gray and only panel lines maybe it will come out better? But it is a great build I I love the finish so far exept well you know.

Look forward to more.

Rick

I went ahead and lightened up the panels above the titanium area and it does look better. I also went over the way too dark touch up looking paint top and bottom and it's now really subdued and just look like pre-shading in those areas. It's just enough to show a bit of a difference. Much better to my eye.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

5 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Looking great all around!

If not too late, the extreme rear/tail chute housing panel was also metallic in this case rather than LGG.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was not sure from the photos I have been able to get my hands on. It's not too late to fix it at all and I will do that today. If there is one thing about these planes that is consistent is that they are so inconsistent. 

2 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I was not sure from the photos I have been able to get my hands on. It's not too late to fix it at all and I will do that today. If there is one thing about these planes that is consistent is that they are so inconsistent. 

I wouldn't touch it.  There's plenty of photos with the rear chute hatch painted, including VFMA-232.  As a matter of fact, I think it's the norm rather than the exception.

2D4cAJ.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

6 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

I wouldn't touch it.  There's plenty of photos with the rear chute hatch painted.

2D4cAJ.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

I love that photo Chuck. It's one of the best I have seen of the aft end showing the color variation in the bare metal. I do like the hatch in grey.

10 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

Your choice of course as it's your model. As I stated though, it was not grey in this case. 

I do want to be as historically correct as possible so it will be resprayed in natural metal. Finding photos of specific planes from this period seems almost impossible. I guess the the guys flying them and the ground crews they had better things to do than worry about pictures. Today has turned upside down for me so modeling is out for a bit. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

12 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

I'm not at my computer to pull examples but I disagree about grey being the norm, at least in the period you're modeling, can't speak to later 70s and beyond. 

BTW, I have put on a few of the decals and they are fantastic. They go on very well and seem to conform well with Micro Set/Sol products.

1 hour ago, ziggyfoos said:

here's some from online, this is from 1971, clean looking then:

64da6be4bde60545618f98a09f78ba51.jpg

in action in 1972:

f777767e981f15cdbb8d6dc75dcc5fb0.jpg

Fantastic, thank you. I have seen the one on the ground but the one in flight is new to me. That's a great photo and will go a long way for realistic weathering. Of course it will still be a good challange for me which I look forward too. You can pretty clearly see the bare metal on the chute door too.

Edited by AlbertD