Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

I put what I thought was a Matt coat on today and it's anything but. Nothing ruined, just wasted time. I used Tamiya XF-86. I just wanted an acrylic matte over the enamel panel lines before I start working with oils and white spirit. The only other clear matte acrylic I have is Model Master. I tried it on one of the bombs and it looks good so tomorrow I'll redo everything. Easy enough but just frustrating since the Tamiya paints always seem reliable. I love the X-22 clear gloss.

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Great progress Al, I hope my painting skills are going to be half as good as yours and I will be happy....looks awesome!

Thanks Anthony. I'm finding it a real challenge to make the weathering look natural. I have been using oils which seem in concept easy to use but it's not easy to get them to look anything like my references.

I have not clear coated the fuel tank yet and am thinking of reworking it some after I see how the fuselage underside goes. I have clear coated the weapons and pylons. I made the inboard pylons dirtier thinking they would be on the airplane all the time while the outboard might be swapped for fuel tanks depending on mission. It made sense at the time anyway. Now I'm off to see what I can do with the underside.

OK guys, I'm artistically challenged  and need your help with honest criticism. You won't hurt my feelings. I just want to learn and get it as close to right as I can. This is done in oils and any of it can be removed, modified or added too. I want to get some opinions and let it set overnight and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.

IMG-0777.jpg

IMG-0778.jpg

IMG-0779.jpg

IMG-0780.jpg

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

It looks pretty good to me.  If anything I’d be tempted to spread it around or blend it a bit more - seems a little artificial how dense the areas if staining are relative to the whole.

That makes sense Alex. I tried to do that with the fuel tank and worried it look like too much. It's a fine balance between too much and not enough. I play with it more tomorrow and see if I can't blend it a bit more and dirty up the white parts a bit more.