1:32 Hawker Siddeley Andover E.Mk 3A - 3D Print

Iain

Not sure excited is the word...

Inspired? Yes...

Full of dread at what I may have taken on? Very much so...

Anyway, I promised some 'start' photos, or it didn't happen, right?

Fuselage tail - this was my first experience of cutting into the material - removing the lower section of rudder.

48b427_f4cf33cd5b294a92957eaf66d1806bea~

I could see there was actually a working gap between the base of the rudder and the fuselage empennage - so I made some cuts along the 'vertical' hinge line - and with very little work I ended up with this:

48b427_9fcd1c5d53db407f9b4983f36a3c1b34~

Now, the interesting part of this exercise was discovering how much of this area was hollow - which it is (with internal re-inforcement webbing).

It turns out this was a bit of a revelation - it explains the light weight of a lot of the parts - and, I expect, will make some processes I have in mind a lot easier to acheive:

48b427_b52b1900a9684c9684e6df24468b284c~

I've also found it's worth running a brush of suitable solvent around the cut edges - in this case EMA Plastic Weld.

Wish me luck - I may need it!  :)

And stay tuned for the next thrilling installment of "I bought an Andover..."

Iain

Looks epic Iain! I was wondering about the "hollowness" of the printed parts when I saw you cut them. The ones I make generally only have a few layers of outer shell, then the rest is web-like infill. Generally they don't like being cut, but in this case it seems to have worked for you!

Craig

I was really pleased when I found that lots of the parts were hollow - it's going to be really useful for some of the things I want to do - but am aware that I'll need to make any modified areas structurally sound - and I have a few ideas around that as I get used to the material.

So, about this cockpit section I'd started on?

Well. I've had the sanding sticks and wet and dry out (used wet, of course!):

48b427_887df3e13d2b4b02a10704a380d76e82~

And some more:

48b427_455be2f668ef446a97dc9333e041c1b8~

And an experiment with some Revell Plasto filler - worked a treat!

48b427_bbec0b84f9474e0dbfe8810ac5c7605c~

So much so that I've now covered all the other relevant areas of this piece so that I can smooth back tomorrow.

'Eyebrow' windows have been opened out.

48b427_71efbba80b624059887025c66343518a~

Here's what the inside looks like - removeable gear doors and ledges to fit the gear bay and cockpit sections - well thought through engineering!

I appear to have had another breakthrough with something I was pondering on - more 'news' shortly (perhaps).

Iain

Very nice work so far Iain! 

On 5/18/2020 at 3:33 AM, Iain said:

Hi Don,

They are wrong I'm afraid - because the tailplanes are high set - and with dihedral, there are very few photos that show this area.

In terms of reference photos - I'm sure he had his own, but we also put together a pretty large collection of reference photos - and technical manuals - that were shared with him during the design phase and I know he used these.

This is just a detail that was missed - it happens!

This is the exact same issue that the Lodela Torp Beau has, as the tail planes come out horizontally, then after that initial section, is where the dihedral starts.  

484564_b934137d84e14385b31c19f459e14c52~

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

This is the exact same issue that the Lodela Torp Beau has, as the tail planes come out horizontally, then after that initial section, is where the dihedral starts. 

Indeedy - and, if anything, a lot more pronounced on the Andover!

It's something I *have* to fix....  :mental::deadhorse::piliot:

Iain

So, about these tailplanes...

Baldrick: "I have a cunning plan..."

Blackadder: "Really, Baldrick? A cunning and subtle one?

Baldrick: "Yes, sir."

Blackadder: "As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?"

Baldrick: "Absolutely, sir."

Blackadder: "Oh go on then, I've got nothing better to do just now..."

Baldrick: "Well, you know those expensive parts we got from Japan..."

Blackadder: "Yes, and?"

Baldrick: "Well, we take some of the bits, and we cut them up..."

Blackadder: "Which gives us what, exactly?"

Baldrick: "Even more bits, sir!"

;)

My attempt at humour aside (and apologies for anyone that isn't a Blackadder fan, or even seen it) - but I bit the bullet tonight.

Since I spotted the error with the tail planes last week I've been pondering on finding that 'cunning plan' and, well, which ever way I thought it through I would have to remove the tailplane sections as moulded.

Concern was two fold:

• Cutting as close to the fuselage shape as possible...
  • Not cutting through to the internal structure and damaging it.

With the knowledge that the kit had a number of voids in it's structure, I was hoping I'd find some here - rather than having to cut all the way through the thickness of the tailplane.

Fresh 10A Scalpel blade and I started scribing along the lower tailplane to fuselage interface - multiple passes taking care to follow the surface of the fuselage as closely as possible.

After a few minutes work - we penetrated - there was, indeed, a void at the root of the tailplane.

A few more runs with the blade to cut through the internal webs and I could feel the tailplane move. So, now I followed the upper tailplane to fuselage interface with the point of the scalpel - until it was all the way through.

This was easily repeated on the other side - I now had separate tailplanes - and two big holes where they once were:

48b427_aca7d2238746465ea09d34dd94d7507a~

48b427_5b2701367c3240928816c631f9909e10~

May not look it in the photos (black plastic is never flattering) - but the cuts are all pretty neat - and there's been absolutely no intrusion into the interior structural details.

Now I can think about bolting it all together properly - this will probably involve lots more cutting, some sheet plastic, some brass tube and some casting resin - in no particular order.

Going to have a fruit tea to celebrate! :beer4:

Iain

I'm enjoying it Anthony - and learning all the time - which is why I like trying new things.

The material is easier to work with than I expected.

The surface prep, whilst it is a chore, is not as difficult as expected.

And modifications easier than I thought to perform...

Still a lot of work to go - but a fascinating project.

Really looking forward to seeing you get your kits and, hopefully, making a start!

Still looking for detailed images of the upper tailplane to fuselage interface...  :deadhorse:

Iain

Grabbing a morning coffee and noticed something else wrong with the fuselage empennage - the rudder should go all the way down to the top of the fuselage - no step as printed:

Andover C.1 XS606

48b427_78f2cfa336214d1194e1fb29afe3d806~

2311-30.jpg

48b427_b52b1900a9684c9684e6df24468b284c~

Not a major thing to change at this stage - but I am glad I spotted it now, rather than later!

Iain

Indeed - just a little higher - a flat across the top of the fuselage curve.

No real biggy - but we will need detailed photos of this area...

This is the most fun I've had in ages - and restoring my modelling MoJo - I owe you a few beers Anthony if I ever get over to NZ!  :)

Iain