USMC Korean War AD-4 Skyraider Interior & Wheel Well Color

Hey guys, I'd like to build a Trumpeter AD-4 as it served in my late father's squadron, VMA-121 in Korea. I've got a couple questions though. What color would be correct in the cockpit below the cockpit sills for anything other then the side consoles & IP? Also, what color would the wheel wells be, some kind of chomate or dark sea blue. Thanks for any guidance.

Chuck

Great picture Finn!  Really shows some detail on the weathering.  Got anymore you could post?

I'm starting to get the bug to do a Korean Skyraider (my original dream was a USAF A-1E using the Fisher conversion but that's on hold indefinitely).   My preference would be the Night Attack -4NA.  Gotta start reading up on the details of the various kits and what's out there for aftermarket bits, decals, etc. 

Edited by John1

Typically, Korean War planes varied a bit, but most all had black from the side switch panels up. The bottom of the cockpits were some type of chromate green paint, colors varied by manufacturer a bit. That sky raider looks like everything was black, but usually you would see chipping with green and aluminum showing through. And as t8me went on, they painted the whole cockpit black.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/458010

4 hours ago, ssculptor said:

Have we ever had a Korean War build?

Seems to me that war is a neglected bit of history.

Golly gee whiz even I would build a plastic model or two for that "police action".

Stephen

I did my part....

Looking at the first Skyraider photo in this thread whilst enjoying my morning coffee, I noticed some interesting little factoids:  The nearest airplane has bolt-on armor plate and a black anti-glare panel, likely making it an AD-4NA.  More significantly, there is no metal canopy bow at the front of the canopy - just a simple joggle in the plexiglass - meaning all of us in our thousands who have ever built a Skyraider kit and painted that part of the canopy GSB, light gull gray or OD have been wrong.  Seems like I knew this but always painted it anyway; no idea why.  There are a staggering number of mission zaps on the next closest airplane and one of the airplanes with folded wings in the background has assymetrical markings on its vertical stab.  Just goes to show, there's always something.