Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

Kevin my Tiger I is the Hobby Boss 1/16 scale one.  Doesn't have a interior which is a plus if you don't open any hatches.  I will have to look up my notes but there was a lot of things I have to change.  Off the top of my head it was a mixture of early, mid  productions.  

Kevin where did you go to get a quote on your acrylic cover?  

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

Kevin my Tiger I is the Hobby Boss 1/16 scale one.  Doesn't have a interior which is a plus if you don't open any hatches.  I will have to look up my notes but there was a lot of things I have to change.  Off the top of my head it was a mixture of early, mid  productions.  

Kevin where did you go to get a quote on your acrylic cover?  

I've heard the HB kits is not the greatest, but for a $100 starting price, it'll be a far better starting place for me than the Tamiya kit, plus the box depicts a mid production Tiger, and that's fine with me. Cope Plastics was the local place I contacted. I've done business with them in the past, and they certainly can get the job done.

I had occasion to go to Home Depot yesterday (Cedar boards for some replacements on the deck), so snatched a can of Tung oil for the Jagdtiger base while I was there. I actually would have preferred Linseed oil, but they were all out.

Cai6ue.jpg

Walnut veneer now on. I Goobered up one corner a bit (it's been quite a while since I made a base like this), but with the brass corner guards and 1/4 x 1/4 walnut strips around the interior of the edging that I'll be using, it'll hardly be noticeable at all. Tomorrow I'll sand it all out and start the Tung oil treatment.

Vsd8cO.jpg

On 5/29/2020 at 7:38 PM, LSP_Ray said:

I would still sand the casting marks down a bit; Ron is right: they are a little too proud. Look good though! Somewhere in my stash I have some PE letters and numbers I got for the same reason. They are in the stash...somewhere... We should twist Woody at Archer to do some more casting marks, he has some Sherman stuff, but we could use more generic sheets in different sizes.

Archer Sherman casting marks:

AR88007.gif

These work very well.

It's a drop-dead gorgeous day here today, so mufflers are all cleaned up now and looking pretty decent, all done while sitting out on the deck with a fresh mug of coffeine. I’ll dust a little primer on just to make sure though, especially before actually adding them to the vehicle. A little surfacer smeared on the exhaust interiors may need to be touched up, but that's about it.

sLXnHo.jpg

6RqwEA.jpg

One thing to be aware of and something that I completely missed until now, when it's too late for me to correct, is that the hinge pins for the rear access doors are cupped, not flat. I find that missing this sort of detail is a bit annoying, but I may have a fix for it, should I decide to do so.

Muffler flanges have a couple of ejector pin marks on the bottom that will need to be dealt with. I also had assumed, for whatever reason, that bottom of muffler casting wouldn't show on the finished model, but it certainly does, so I'll continue the seam to the very bottom, like I probably should have done in the first place.

yGx7bn.jpg

Casting numbers now added to one of the fan housings. These are somewhat abbreviated, as there wasn't really room for the rest, but it's still a nice touch, regardless. Even at only 1/16" tall, these Plastruct letters/numbers are a bit too big, but I can't justify spending $16 for the Archer set right now, so I'll just use what I have to hand. I'll sand these down somewhat too, as has been suggested.

sLoP4P.jpg

9 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Casting seams now added to muffler cast portion. I may redo this though, as I think it's a wee big.

5V8T0Z.jpg

While you are playing with the exhausts, you might want to add what I think are anti-grenade bars on the exhaust openings. I don't think they were on all Tiger II's or King Tigers, they were definitely on some and are an interesting detail to add (also helps hide the inside seam!):

kingtiger-1484.jpg

Trumpeter actually supplies P.E. parts for those, Ray. If they hadn't, I would have.

Am I seeing correctly that the lifting lugs of the guards are parallel with the mounting flange? The design of the Trumpeter kit, has them kicked out an an angle, which does not look like this photo, but I'd imagine the KT and Jagdtiger guards are identical. To be honest, I think Trumpeter (or I) got this wrong.

Same tank, Ron, but I certainly appreciate the input. And those lugs are parallel with the mounting flange (None of my books really show this well.). I'll need to redo mine, which shouldn't be all that big of a deal. Thanks for looking in.