Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

20 minutes ago, 305 swag said:

I think they are discontinued.

They may well be, but they still are available on feepay from time to time. I'm eyeballing a Pershing right now in fact.

Engine louvers now mostly done. I've left the engine deck tools off until later, when I may or may not add them. Most of my Jagdtiger photos show that the overwhelming majority of the tools were soon removed, then who knows what was done with them, but they seldom seemed to get re-mounted on the vehicle. In some cases, Trumpeter has provided tool clamps separate, but in other cases have them molded onto the tools themselves. Figuring out how I want to proceed regarding the various tools, is something I'm still deliberating.

9LZLG1.jpg

3/4" plywood base now cut, measuring 16” x 28” and will have 7/8” walnut edging all around, giving an interior size of 14-1/4" x 26-1/4". Lots of dead space there, but necessary, as the whole shootin' match will be under an acrylic cover.

Xwg0Te.jpg

Happy news for me, the discovery of an included Jerry can (water) that’s mentioned nowhere in the instructions. I’ve seen numerous photos of these cans strapped to various areas of the vehicle, so I’ll now be able to do the same. I’m absolutely sure I have some Varlindun 1:16 Jerry cans here too, but darned if I can find them right now.

DUPeba.jpg

All things considered, the C hooks are fairly accurate, but are absent the internal access cover on the bottom, so I'll be scribing/drilling those in. Also absent is the casting texture, so I'll be adding that as well.

sMspye.jpg

Drive sprockets/wheels are a beauty to behold, and appear to be quite accurate. Rear faces are chock full of ejector pin recessions, so those will be dealt with. (My biggest fear is the “mirror on a stick” judge at contests, so I’ll be taking no chances here.)

sIDL3J.jpg

Sprockets themselves correctly depict the every other tooth cut off, so I’ll be simulating torch marks there. Once outer and inner pieces are joined, I’ll also eliminate the circumferential seam, and then add some casting texture.

1mRZq4.jpg

19 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Is every other tooth cut off, or was it not there in the first place?

Richard

MORE: I found this: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-germany-sd-kfz-186-jagdtiger/

Every other tooth appears to have been removed. I wonder why?

The Tigers were prone to throwing track, so they decided that by removing every other tooth, this could be greatly reduced.

Now that you mention it, the sprockets on the King Tiger, Jagdtiger and Sturmtiger may have actually been produced that way, owing to the experiences with the Tiger I or Tiger II. I'll have to look into that further.

8 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Now that you mention it, the sprockets on the King Tiger, Jagdtiger and Sturmtiger may have actually been produced that way, owing to the experiences with the Tiger I or Tiger II. I'll have to look into that further.

Another modeller's 'research' rabbit hole to vanish into...

:D

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Another modeller's 'research' rabbit hole to vanish into...

:D

Richard

True enough. I recall reading somewhere that one of the three, probably the Tiger II, had serious issues with throwing track. It seems entirely possible that the design of the bolted-on sprocket itself, was just changed at some point.

I ran into my first real snag with this kit last night; parts JD11 and JD1 don’t seem to line up with anything at all here in the lower hull. Since my kit will be closed up, this is really no big deal, but I spent way too much time trying to make them fit, and they just don’t, so I’m moving on to other items. The good news is that the torsion bars themselves are designed in such a way as to be almost stupid proof, so that’s a real plus, and means I can easily dismiss these two items.

LkxU5c.jpg