Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

On 5/5/2020 at 8:58 PM, Neo said:

Sweet this will be a monster. 

Curious to why not build the interior? Even just for fun!

Just a whole lot of work, for next to no gain. I did the same thing with my big T-34/85, and that worked out just great.

23 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Should at least throw some interior where you can see through the hatches? Will definitely be following this one! I have the kit, too.

I'm not real sure it'll have any open hatches, Ray. While an abandoned vehicle, which was my first thought, may well have several open, the total lack of suitable figures to use in a scene like that, might well have me depicting it with only the binocular telescopic site extending out of the hull top. I'd love to see what you do with yours. I'll soon be ordering a few tins of Humbrol track color for it, as it's one of the best impressions of Manganese that I've yet seen.

Overall, I have to give kudos to the Trumpeter team that designed this kit. Fit of parts so far has been excellent, and the parts are well thought out. To avoid injecting unusually thick parts, the cast gun guard is molded in two pieces, one slipping inside the other, resulting in a seam that needs to be dealt with. Here I've slopped on two applications of liquid putty to deal with the resultant gaps, minor as they may be.

T5BGzg.jpg

One of the items that's worthy of note in the color photo, is the mudguard/skirt segments that reveal a red primer on the interior surfaces. I've read more than a few debates on this specific subject, and am not 100% convinced there is any absolute hard and fast rule regarding this, but again, nice to have some options available.

Also, some of the track segments in the foreground, are clearly not from the Jagdtiger, though a couple most certainly are.

I have read certain late war tanks were painted overall in red primer, then any camo colors were painted over the top, so would still be primer on any inner surfaces. They even recommended leaving the primer exposed as part of the camo, in lieu of red-brown, I guess. I have no idea if this happened with JagdTigers, though, and there was so much variation near the end of the war, who knows for sure?

Since they have the Panther series already, a Jagdpanther might be a logical progression.  I'd be in for one of those....or possibly two, depending on whether they did the G1 and the G2 or just early and mid versions of the G1.

I have the Jagdtiger and I fully plan on stuffing all the stuff into mine (and quite possibly more).  I also have a Panzer IV H, the Tiger II (both turrets), and the Panther G, early.  I plan on putting them on a display table (base is such an inadequate term for the sizes of these things) with all hatches open (with layers that can be peeled apart to show the innards...Like David parkers Tiger II).  I did buy the Tiger II and Jadgtiger books.  I like to look at how things are supposed to look and how these modelers accomplished it.  I'm good at copying stuff but not necessarily good at inventing solutions to problems.

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

Since they have the Panther series already, a Jagdpanther might be a logical progression.  I'd be in for one of those....or possibly two, depending on whether they did the G1 and the G2 or just early and mid versions of the G1.

I have the Jagdtiger and I fully plan on stuffing all the stuff into mine (and quite possibly more).  I also have a Panzer IV H, the Tiger II (both turrets), and the Panther G, early.  I plan on putting them on a display table (base is such an inadequate term for the sizes of these things) with all hatches open (with layers that can be peeled apart to show the innards...Like David parkers Tiger II).  I did buy the Tiger II and Jadgtiger books.  I like to look at how things are supposed to look and how these modelers accomplished it.  I'm good at copying stuff but not necessarily good at inventing solutions to problems.

Tamiya makes a 1:16 Jagdpanther, M26 Pershing and JS-2, along with a few others as well. I want them all, but will have to spread out those purchases quite a bit.

I looked at the Tamiya Jagdpanther but without an interior and with tracks that don’t have hollow guide horns ( a real noticeable error in that scale), I’ll pass.

I tried their 1/35 Pershing and it still sits on the shelf of doom.

4 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I looked at the Tamiya Jagdpanther but without an interior and with tracks that don’t have hollow guide horns ( a real noticeable error in that scale), I’ll pass.

I tried their 1/35 Pershing and it still sits on the shelf of doom.

I really want to depict the Pershing that was used to guard the approach to the Remagan bridge. In 1:16, that would be absolutely killer looking. My 1:35 Pershing is languishing here somewhere too. It's in good company though, sitting idle with another hundred unfinished projects  of mine.

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

I have this kit too as well as a Panther, I think the Stug is coming out at some point.

A nice Sherman family would be awesome from them.

I haven't heard of a Stug, but if it's a IIIIG, I'll be all over it like a dog on a pork chop. Thanks for looking in.

One cool thing I noticed, sort of, is that the barrel has rifling in the outermost portion near the muzzle. How I'll deal with that seam, remains a mystery. I think P.E. might have worked better for this. The rifling is also grievously inaccurate, so I may just sand it off and leave it as a smooth bore, not real sure yet.

8c1xXF.jpg