HAF Mirage 2000

Rick K

Putty, sand, repeat.  Putty, sand, repeat.  There at more gaps on this kit than a Lauren Hutton/Michael Strahan conference.

Windscreen secured and final masking of cockpit.

IMG_1624(1).JPG

Gunze Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 overall primer.  Seams and problem areas hit with Gunze Mr. Surfacer 500.

IMG_1634(1).JPG

IMG_1635(1).JPG

Radar nose cone painted Gunze 307 Dark Ghost Grey after paint cure is masked.  Camouflage is French Air Force scheme, Light Grey and Med Blue Grey.

Starting off with Gunze 308 Light Ghost Grey I marbled the upper disruptive pattern then...

IMG_1879(1).JPG

give the undersides full coverage.

IMG_1880(1).JPG

Marbling done I blend with ez passes of well thinned Gunze 308.

IMG_1881(1).JPG

IMG_1882(1).JPG

The Medium Blue Grey is a recommended brew by Icarus.  I used Gunze 72 Intermediate Blue and 337 Medium Grey mixed at 2:1.  Thinned 1:1 with MLT.

IMG_1883(1).JPG

Edited by Rick K

On 5/11/2021 at 2:49 AM, Rick K said:

The Medium Blue Grey is a recommended brew by Icarus.  I used Gunze 72 Intermediate Blue and 337 Medium Grey mixed at 2:1.  Thinned 1:1 with MLT.

IMG_1883(1).JPG

Awesome! :thumbsup:

Derek

Decals applied.  I got this kit at our local club meeting with no decals. Using Icarus decals was a joy, such high quality.  Then I snagged a set of stencil decals from Berna.  For the most the Berna decals were useless as they were out of register.  The wing walk decals were pieced together from a set of 1:72 FW190 stencils.  Not red stencils I settled for black.  Meh, close enough.

IMG_2264(1).JPG

Then some work on the refuling probe.  The kit probe tip is hideous anad was replace with MasterModel NATO Probe 72-018.  Yeah, it's friggin' tiny, nice detail though.  Arm was painted MRP WWI Night Camo Black and tip MRP NATO Black with Alclad 101 Alumninum.  A pain to mask.  Happy with results.

IMG_2267(1).JPG

Panel line wash and...

IMG_2342(1).JPG

IMG_2343(1).JPG

a few overall passes of heavily thinned black/brown brew with some attention to the exhaust areas followed by Tamiya Flat Clear to seal.  Cockpit masks removed.

IMG_2367(1).JPG

While the varnish cures on to the ResKit exhaust nozzle.  This is truly a gem.  The detail is exceptional and delicate.  After tedious cutting and sanding the pour stubs are removed.

IMG_2350(1).JPG

Edited by Rick K

Reference photo give me some great detail of the exhaust.  Now the challenge is to duplicate.  Or at least come close.

IMG_2349(1).JPG

Test fit yields an oversized look.  Had I secured the ResKit upgrade earlier in this build I'd make the adjustments.  This is what happends when yopu get a resin upgrade after the kit is 90% complete.  :(

IMG_2352(1).JPG

Pardon the dust...

IMG_2351(1).JPG

Overall Alclad 101 Alumnimum then a wash of Tamiya Clear Blue followed with Tamiya Clear Orange.

IMG_2483(1).JPG

IMG_2484(1).JPG

IMG_2485(1).JPG

A wash of thinned black/brown blends everything down.

IMG_2570(1).JPG

IMG_2572(1).JPG

Somehow a set of Mirage 2000 ResKit wheel set wound up on my bench.  Like the exhaust, these are finely detailed little gems.

IMG_2578(1).JPG

Primed up and ready for some paint.

IMG_2612(1).JPG

Landing gear and external fuel tank installed.

IMG_2611(1).JPG

IMG_2661(1).JPG

Wheels and hubs painted (lost images, my bad) and installed.   Launch rail for the IRIS-T missiles also installed.

IMG_2668(1).JPG

IMG_2671(1).JPG

Exocet and IRIS-T loadout starboard side complete.

IMG_2731(1).JPG

Edited by Rick K

On 5/9/2021 at 3:56 PM, Derek B said:

Love your work Rick! :) Looking forward to completing mine once I complete a master pattern and a model build for a friend, so your work is inspiring me. Like you, I also want to make the HAF fleet in 1/72 scale, but other scales also.

I have the same decals and for reference, I use internet images and ioannis Lakkas' 'Mirage 2000 under the skin' book, which is very good. 

s-l1600_2.jpg

As the Airfix M2000 is very basic and only represents the prototype version, I more or less had to resort to scratch building the cockpit on mine. This is as far as I got up to now:

No photo description available.

Derek

That's some nice scratch work.  Mine is basically OOB with exception of a few PE details and AM ordnance, wheels.