While at the Old Dominion Open IPMS Richmond, VA show I was asked (challenged actually) to do a P47 build as a group with several members of our local IPMS club.  The challenge was to finish the build in 30 days.   If I can find an inexpensive kit at the show I'm in.

P47_BoxArt.jpg

30 minutes later I found this gem for USD$5.  My scheme will be a RAF Thunderbolt Mk.II SEAC.

P47_SEAC.01.jpg

Parts cleaning begins.  Really?  Must cut the landing gear doors?

Edited by Rick K

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Rick, 

You can win this challenge SO easily.

Clean start and a nice find.

Go Rick Go!

:thumbsup:

it already finished (about 40 days) still a record for me.  I need to post WIP and RFI images.  Issues with my iPhone are holding me back   Stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to sorting out my photo issues.

SEAC_Tbolt_GearDoors_Cut.jpg

Cutting apart the landing gear doors...1:72 scale.  :BANGHEAD2:

SEAC_Tbolt_Primer_misc.01.jpg

Various priming done on pit, interior engine, etc

SEAC_Tbolt_Pit_Paint.01.jpg

Interior Green for...the interior.  Gunze 302.

SEAC_Tbolt_ChromeYellow.jpg

Yellow Chromate for wheel wells, inside cowling.  Gunze 27.

Edited by Rick K

I see you've chosen a P-47M.  The only country to fly the P-47M during WWII was the United States 56th FG during the last few months of the war in Europe.  However, if the engine in the kit is not the C series engine (cylindrical prop reduction gearcase vs. bullet shaped gearcase) there's absolutely no difference between the M model and the earlier D-30/D-40 series aircraft.  Even if it does include the C series engine, in 1/72, I doubt anyone will notice or even care (besides jug freaks like me).

Edited by Juggernut

2 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I see you've chosen a P-47M.  The only country to fly the P-47M during WWII was the United States 56th FG during the last few months of the war in Europe.  However, if the engine in the kit is not the C series engine (cylindrical prop reduction gearcase vs. bullet shaped gearcase) there's absolutely no difference between the M model and the earlier D-30/D-40 series aircraft.  Even if it does include the C series engine, in 1/72, I doubt anyone will notice or even care (besides jug freaks like me).

I chose the M for one reason, 5 Dollars. 

Yup, If someone looks at this completed build and note the reduction gear case  I'll give them a well deserved "Atta Boy" or "Atta Girl".

Also, fin fillet not being used.

Where you from in PA?  I was raised in Gettysburg.

Edited by Rick K

1 hour ago, Rick K said:

I chose the M for one reason, 5 Dollars. 

Yup, If someone looks at this completed build and note the reduction gear case  I'll give them a well deserved "Atta Boy" or "Atta Girl".

Also, fin fillet not being used.

Where you from in PA?  I was raised in Gettysburg.

I read that the cost is what motivated your decision, I think you said that up at the top.  I think it's a version of an old kit that I built when I was a kid back in the early 1970's. Is the 30 days up yet?

I currently live in York Haven (actually nearer to Newberrytown).  I moved to PA from Horseheads, NY  to be close to Gettysburg (I've been hooked on that little town since my first visit in 2003).  I'm a huge civil war nerd/ghosthunter and Gettysburg is my Mecca.

Edited by Juggernut

18 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

I read that the cost is what motivated your decision, I think you said that up at the top.  I think it's a version of an old kit that I built when I was a kid back in the early 1970's. Is the 30 days up yet?

I currently live in York Haven (actually nearer to Newberrytown).  I moved to PA from Horseheads, NY  to be close to Gettysburg (I've been hooked on that little town since my first visit in 2003).  I'm a huge civil war nerd/ghosthunter and Gettysburg is my Mecca.

My brother (NPS Ranger/Historian 14 years at Gettysburg) went to school with Mark Nesbit, the original Ghosts Of Gettysburg authority.  The stories these two would weave (mostly accurate) after a few beers were always great to listen to.  Clearly while not on duty.

I completed this build in about 40 days.  I'm posting WIP first before I post finished build.

4 minutes ago, Rick K said:

My brother (NPS Ranger/Historian 14 years at Gettysburg) went to school with Mark Nesbit, the original Ghosts Of Gettysburg authority.  The stories these two would weave (mostly accurate) after a few beers were always great to listen to.  Clearly while not on duty.

I completed this build in about 40 days.  I'm posting WIP first before I post finished build.

Nice!  I know Mark Nesbit (not personally but have met him on a couple occasions).  He has the same remark about NPS Rangers and their stories. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this little guy done.  Did you remove the "in progress" photos from above?  They're not showing up for me any longer...just that stupid Photobucket message the the photo is currently unavailable.

2 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Nice!  I know Mark Nesbit (not personally but have met him on a couple occasions).  He has the same remark about NPS Rangers and their stories. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this little guy done.  Did you remove the "in progress" photos from above?  They're not showing up for me any longer...just that stupid Photobucket message the the photo is currently unavailable.

PB is driving me crazy.  Not sure what is going on.  The Thunderbolt Mk.II images appear to be the only ones being affected in my library.  Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Prop, engine and drop tanks get a little love.

(edited)_SEAC_Tbolt_varnish.jpg

While drying rack is full I'm going to work on the prop.

SEAC_Tbolt_EngineTestFit.jpg

Engine work complete abd test fitted in the cowling and prop.  Prop tips painted MRP122 Yellow.

SEAC_Tbolt_EngineTestFit.01.jpg

Another test fit this time with the fuselage.

SEAC_Tbolt_PropMask.jpg

Prop boss/spinner painted MRP135 White and masked with tape and maskol.  Tips masked and ready for a shot of Tamiya FX69 NATO Black.

SEAC_Tbolt_PropHubMask.jpg

After the NATO Black cures more masking to paint the prop hub Alclad 102 Duraluminum.

SEAC_Tbolt_Prop.jpg

Making removed and I'm happy with results.

SEAC_Tbolt_Prop.TestFit.jpg

Test fit with engine.

Edited by Rick K

Closing things up.

SEAC_Tbolt_SandScribe_Top.jpg

Fuselage buttoned up and wings glued in place.

SEAC_Tbolt_SandScribe.jpg

A little sanding and scribing.

SEAC_Tbolt_Mask_PrimerPrep.01.jpg

SEAC_Tbolt_Mask_PrimerPrep.02.jpg

Masking cockpit and wheel wells complete and little more surface prep.  After breaking blast tubes off multiple times I've folded some paper and taped to tings to protect further breakage.

SEAC_Tbolt_BlackPrimer.01.jpg

SEAC_Tbolt_BlackPrimer.02.jpg

Black from the attack.   After primer Gunze Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black cures will begin masking for ID bands.

Edited by Rick K

ID Stripes.  I'm doing a RAF SEAC scheme with Dark Earth/Dark Green/Med Sea Gray camo.  This scheme will also be used when I get to my 1:32 TAM Mossie, hopefully before the apocalypse.

Another element which drew me to this scheme are the white ID Bands.  No only for the look but for the challenge to replicate.

SEAC_Tbolt_ID.Bands.01.jpg

Using MRP 135 White the ID Bands are first marbled.

SEAC_Tbolt_Cowling.ID.Band.01.jpg

The cowling got some ID Band love as well.

SEAC_Tbolt_ID.Bands.02.jpg

Then blended.  The camera really blew up the white, it's not that solid.

SEAC_Tbolt_ID.Bands.03.jpg

After full paint cure I mask the ID Bands. 

SEAC_Tbolt_MedGray.01.jpg

Medium Sea Gray MRP 112 marbling begins.

SEAC_Tbolt_MedGray.02.jpg

SEAC_Tbolt_MedGray.03.jpg

Med Sea Gray blended.  After cure will mask undersides to begin upper camouflage.