Eduard 1:48 Bf109 F-4

matto21

Still plodding along. The RLM79 is done with the exception of the wingtips. I've purposely left these for now so I can handle the model safely while painting. I'll fill them in when the rest of the paintwork is done. I subtly post shaded the 79 using a lightened mix, although not really noticeable from a distance and under a gloss coat. 

IMG_20200305_224713

IMG_20200305_224801

Next up is the white fuselage band and cowling behind the spinner but I'll give the gloss 24 hours to dry first. 

Matt 

OK, I've now painted the wingtips and flaps, and applied an all over gloss coat to prepare for decals and weathering. 

IMG_20200307_222546_268_20200307225435155 IMG_20200307_222546_264

On the subject of gloss coats, my usual "go to" - Glossy Varnish from Ammo - which I've used on all my recent models, including the underside of this, just didn't work for me. I just couldn't get a smooth coat. I had to change to Tamiya X-22, which I haven't used in ages, to get a finish I was happy with. 

An overnight pause is now required while everything dries before I can start applying decals and some washes. 

Matt 

Sorry to hear about the tail wheel Matt. I have mixed results with Tamiya X-22. These days I usually go other routes for gloss because sometimes  "22" goes on smooth and other times I question how it's called a "gloss". Looks like this coat laid down nice n' smooth for you though.  

Edited by mustang1989

I've pinned the tailwheel strut, should be a reasonable fix, fingers crossed. 

Started applying decals and a wash, and things are looking more Marseille-like already.

IMG_20200310_210024

IMG_20200310_210156

I'm not over enamoured with the decals. While they conform to the recessed detail well enough with some Mr Mark Softer, some of the smaller markings look decidedly heavy to my eye. 

Also noticed that one section of the windscreen should be painted RLM79 - I'd missed this although it isn't really clear in the instructions. I've unmasked it ready to be repainted. 

IMG_20200310_210237

Home straight now... 

Matt